Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bronze Montefortino with Thick Cast Rim
I should have said the entire helmet is thought to have been cast in one piece, sorry.

The only explanation for the finger print, if it is ancient, is the usage of a wax technique.
Joe Balmos
Thanks for the photo. Yes, I doubt it is from anything recent, but you never know! Confusedmile
Looks as if it follows the individual strands of the 'rope'. So I would agree with the ancient theory.
Wax was used to create the model Doc, as in the lost wax process.
The whole helmet cast in one piece? Interesting.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here is the new helmet being used in an interactive display at the Penn Museum today. The artifact can be seen in the last pic in the background. I don't think anyone can offer a similar quality bronze, not brass, Montefortino for the price.

[attachment=10345]Monte002.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10346]Monte001.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10347]Monte004.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joe Balmos
A wonderful piece indeed! The proportions of the bowl, between different parts of the helmet etc. are spot on.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bronze strigils: cast or wrought? thebeadlady 6 1,742 08-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Creon01
  Have you seen this stuff yet? (bronze casting with no cast) Titus Petronicus Graccus 31 7,012 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Is it enough 1mm of the thick ? Nieczar 9 2,922 04-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Nieczar