Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bathing sandals
Hi everyone,
I'm convinced I've seen pictures of bathing sandals somewhere, if not the finds themselves it I can't think where! Anyone have any pictures or links? Anyone know where originals might be on show?
Regards
Plenty of bath-house entrance mosaics show sandals, oil flask and strigil.

Like this one from Libya :-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en...opped).jpg
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
There were some wooden soled sandals found at Vindolanda that they think were for use in the baths. Is that the find you are thinking of?
Adam

No man resisted or offered to stand up in his defence, save one only, a centurion, Sempronius Densus, the single man among so many thousands that the sun beheld that day act worthily of the Roman empire.
Vindolanda makes sense, I was lucky enough to dig there a couple of years ago. Am going back this year, will have to keep a look out!
Wooden sandals of "Roman" provenance have been found in many places across Europe and in many shapes. Even though they are mostly attributed to baths, I think at least some of them were also used outside.
I'll post a few sources and pics later this week.
There's a chapter on them in Paola Pugsley's BAR (International series)
S1118, 2003
Roman Domestic Wood
Analysis of the morphology, manufacture and use of selected categories
of domestic wooden artefacts with particular reference to the material from Roman Britain
ISBN 1 84171 327 9.
Louise Mumford
Here are a few pics from originals:

[Image: Sculpona_01.jpg]

[Image: Sculpona_02.jpg]

from Heckenbenner, Dominique, Claudine Jacquet. Galoches de bois et bottines de cuir, se chausser de l'Antiquité à l'aube de la Renaissance: Musée du Pays de Sarrebourg. 2004

Leguilloux, Martine. Le cuir et la pelleterie à l'epoque romaine, Editions Errance, Paris, 2004 also gives a nice little overview.
Thank you Martin! I can rough cut some soles this weekend!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bathing utensil from a mosaic Dardanus Lupus 4 1,622 02-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  Bathing by soldiers in the field kevin 3 1,693 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Bathing set brennivs - tony drake 7 2,105 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius