Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a Groma
Here is a picture of the Groma I completed today. I was unable to find metal swivel fittings so I made the whole instrument out of would and wood screws. When I find the proper metal fittings I will make another one.

[attachment=9809]groma.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice project, and as far as I can tell, looks well executed. I'll have to add this one to the never-ending list of future Roman projects I'd like to attempt. :wink:
Alexander
nice yob Marcus, looks familiar Wink to mine. Just make the shaft longer and ad a ring around it where you an put guylines on so it stands on itself.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Nice. You live in the USA? Yeez, you have so much space there.

PS: Over here in crowded Europe we only live in houses as spacious as this! Big Grin
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Move to the Republic of Texas. We have plenty of wide open space, low taxes, good food and good looking women.
@Eleactic Guest

Yeah it's like that if you live in the Northeast, where a significant portion of the US population lives. But if you go south of Maryland it's pretty spacious. Go out west of the Mississipi and it's just cornfields [strike]and meth labs[/strike] for miles.
You know, I was watching this zombie episode, The Walking Dead - yeah, I know not to everybody's taste, but I don't pretend to be intellectual when it comes to my TV tastes *lol* - but I really came to like the area it is set in, around Atlanta, Georgia. It is striking, it immediately felt familiar: the forests and vegetation pretty much look like those of Germany, actually, even though your temperature must be 10 degrees Celsius higher. So while watching, I was always kind of wondering, 'why the heck are they constantly sweating and complaining about the hotness in these woods...I never do, it is actually cool here'! Big Grin

I am sure one can make a decent historical drama film in Georgia where Romans battle Germans in the "deep forests of Magna Germania" with adequate credibility.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Upper North/South Carolina and Upper Georgia in the Piedmont/Appalachins is pretty similar to France and Rhine area Germany, but it's about 10 degrees Celsius higher.
Does it have a weight coming down from the center of the cross piece? That will mark the survey point. Some illustrations in some books omit that, and surveying does not work without the stake in the ground.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
perfectly right Richard.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX