Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strip build scutum
I posted this in FB RAT, but thought I'd mention it here as well. Not sure if this has been mentioned.

Following up on my strip built scutum, a light soaking didn't make the thing bend more, but did lead me to ponder two attributes of a strip construction over 1) plank construction and 2) the usual modern plywood construction.

First the other discussion of hide glues and their water solubility leaves out any possibilty to try to soak a shield after it's constructed, so all the strips need bending before hand.

Second, with plank and modern plywood the shield covers referred to in sources are really just decorative. I know some folks think it protects the paint. With hide glued plywood, it keeps the water off and the strips together.

Third: this construction is really flexible and bends. A lot. Short of actual sharp steel combat, how can we determine if this flexibility factored into Roman tactics? Keep in mind the lorica segmenta are also springy, and absorb blows really well. Would a sword blow spring back on the wielder?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
This is a subject that I have pondered for a long time now and I have a theory that the Romans took their veneers from the annular tree rings of a log.

This is where one would need to take a long blade in fact longer than the height of a shield and strip off the rings from the piece of tree trunk, these annular rings are then cut into strips of around 3 inch width and form the inner and outer layers of a shield in a verticle configuration therefore the only ones that would need pre-bending would be the inner of three layers.

The log used would of course need to be soaked for some time to help spread its annular rings making it easy to stip them from a log.
Brian Stobbs
I steamed strips of wood and then tacked then onto the inner framework (which had also been steamed to shape). When dry they were a good fit and with a little sanding made a nice flat surface.
Douglas
I have kept up with this a bit more on FB RAT. However, it is now completed and the edges trimmed. It weighs just over 5 pounds, and is pretty rigid. Matt Amt and I will probably not finish it and use it as a display piece.

Next one will have birch veneer strips, as I have found a 380 foot long roll as a supply, 1" wide and 2mm thick. It also comes 1..5mm thick, but we decided upon 2mm. I have promised for the next one do have more photos, and write all the steps down.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Do you think you could build one with an oval Republican shape?
Joe Balmos
Great project, Richard! Keep us updated on further work. :wink:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Oval? Probably. I would have to have a form to clamp the strips to. This strip built only works because I have a scutum blank to clamp things to. I would need a curved blank, but that's something to figure out. What dimensions were you thinking?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
There is at least one source for 2mm veneer in long rolls. I"ll be looking for more. If you have a 1" wide strip, I estimate you'll need 300 ' to complete one scutum, which by these folks costs makes it about $80 US. So I'll be looking for alternatives. I like the 3" wide strips as easier to work with, but does anyone know how wide the strips actually were?

http://wholesalecabinetcomponents.com/it...g/list.htm
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Richard.
This one from Egypt has been said to be Celtic but possibly Roman and has what do look to be smaller say 2 inch wide strips just from estimation of shield size I suppose.
[attachment=9888]wp07fa44f7_05_061.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strip built scutum: edge banding or planed wood? richsc 1 1,059 02-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Crispianus