Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iguli?
Anyone knows what "the 7th cohort of the Iguli" might be? It was stationed in Egypt about 240 AD. Since the text is in Greek, the "Iguli" might be written differently in Latin.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
A graffito on the Colossos of Memnon possibly relates to the prefect of Cohors VII Ituraeorum - might that fit? However, the unit might also be read as III Ituraeorum, which are attested in the Thebaid.

Alternatively, there's Cohors VII Francorum in the Notitia, based at Diospolis in Egypt, although 240 seems a little early for Franks...

What text are you using?
Nathan Ross
It is in P.oxy 47,3365 1.13...
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Oxyrhynchus Papyrii? Hmm....

Could it be recruited from Locals?
Quote:Oxyrhynchus Papyrii? Hmm....
"Papyri".
Sg. is "Papyrus", not "Papyrius".
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Verbum incertum est. So the diacritc is unsure, meaning there's a good chance there's something missing. It could have a double dot like ϊγουλων (which needs must have another syllable then). ΟΥ has been suggested so <οὐ>ιγούλων . Benaissa doesn't mess around, he's a great papyrologist.

The problem now is rendering it phonetically and matching it up with something. If we were 100% certain of the accent it would be much easier. In that period ΟΥ can stand for u/ou or a bilabial /w/ (Latin V) so for example Valerianus you get Οὐαλεριαν̣ὸ̣ς̣ as one does later in the pap. So we've got:

Iguli/Igouloi (Lat, then Greek pair)
viguli

At least as possible suspects. No idea, I know nothing of local tribes in the area or whatever may match that. The papyrus seems in good shape and reasonably interesting (as far as non literary/curse papyri go) so I'd be surprised if no-one has anything to say on it in an article somewhere.
Jass
Quote:It is in P.oxy 47,3365 1.13...

Thanks. Any chance you could provide a rough translation of the surrounding text? It might be easier to identify these Iguli if we had an idea of what they were doing, and where! Confusedmile:

Quote:viguli

Ah, the wigglies! But what would a cohort of vigiles be doing in Egypt? Perhaps a local defense unit?
Nathan Ross
Quote:At least as possible suspects. No idea, I know nothing of local tribes in the area or whatever may match that. The papyrus seems in good shape and reasonably interesting (as far as non literary/curse papyri go) so I'd be surprised if no-one has anything to say on it in an article somewhere.

I love memorizing maps. No such tribe is recorded on any map of the time period. I would have to agree with your Vigilies guess, they were rather prominent in this time period. One unit of Vigilies fought off a Frankish raid into Germania Secunda.
Is it possible that it is the Cohors VII Gallorum? Was stationed at Syria or Arabia at that time. (See Spaul, Cohors 2, p. 171. There he says Syria, but at the back of the volume, it is arranged underneath the heading Arabia.)
It is the only 7th cohort in the neighbourhood (apart from VII Breucorum on Cyprus, which seems less likely), and "Iguli" might very possibly be a variant of "Galli".
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
I found them in four different papyri, all between 229 and 241 AD in Egypt.

They are called ouigouloi, igouli and iougouli

The term eparchos ouigoulon is translated by whoever made the translation of one of the papyri as praefectus vigilum. Does that make sense to you gentlemen? The 7th cohort of vigiles? In Egypt?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
I don't know anything like enough about Roman Egypt's military organisation to *suggest* anything, I'm just reading the Greek guys.

I haven't seen the other papyri, so I don't know what relationship they have to one another but iougouloi alone should make us pause, that is very variant from the others. Although I haven't seen this pap so it could be a mistake like igouloi. I mean you can argue that it would be voiced rather similar but it defies the orthographic conventions of Latin and Roman Greek. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, when it comes to papyri I've seen it all: π for β, μ for ν and so on but judging from the orthography and accentuation of the rest of the papyrus as it has been transcribed the speaker was obviously learned.

So the vigiles might be a stretch, I mean cf is to vigouloi. You have not just the wrong kind of vowel but a diphthong here. Moreover it belongs to the wrong noun class. Greek of the era interacts with Latin in predictable ways, especially when it comes to forming nouns and Greek could have happily used a noun formation that rendered it closer to the original.

I'm not discounting it, just being cautious as usual.
Jass