Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiators needed near Dallas
Apologies if this is in the incorrect area, I couldn't figure out whether to put this here or in the Ancient Combat Sports board. Several years ago I got to participate in a gladiator tournament with one of the Legio groups in Austin, and really enjoyed doing it. Since then, I havn't been able to do much of any type of gladiatorial combat due to my job (over the road truck driver), but now I am on a regional route and am home every weekend and am actually participating in a renaissance festival in Hillsboro, in which I actually play a mythological creature (a minotaur to be exact) who is the king of the creatures living in the area.....yes, not too historically accurate since the myths only talk about a single minotaur in the Theuses myth. We are actually the fantasy element of the festival. That's going to lead me into what I am posting about.

Note: I know a chunk of what I'm doing is not going to be historically accurate, because of what is involved and the fact that it does involve some fantasy elements. It never hurts to have some realism and historical accuracy though!

One of the things I want to do with the mythological creature court is to hold a gladiator combat show. The idea will be that we will have several gladiators as well as some of the mythological creatures who(after "changing into a human form and putting on the proper gladiatorial garb") will fight in a fight circle for the audience's entertainment (even my character, even though he's a king, will probably get in on the action). The storyline for the show is that we are demonstrating the skills of our gladiators. They will not be using steel weapons but specially modified weapons designed to promote safety. (They will be using LARP style weaponry that can look realistic from a distance....not the noodle style, but the more shaped style of LARP weapons). Gladiators (and even the mythological creatures posing as human for these fights) will be dressed appropriately for the style of combat. Throughout the day, the fight circle will be open for general sparring and for guests to challenge the fighters (or anyone else) in combat.

If anyone would like do participate in this, please let me know! The festival I'm planning on doing this at is called Middlefaire in Hillsboro, TX, we hold three one weekend long festivals and the one I am planning on doing this particular show at is the Magical and Medieval Fantasy Faire, held on the weekend of July 4th. For reference, www.middlefest.com is the website. I have not formally announced the show to the owner, but will be doing so this weekend when I go for a pirate festival out there.
I live in Houston. I do things with legion X, legion XIII and Cohort V. None of the guys in these groups do gladiator combat to my knowledge. I am also involved with the SCA. In the two local baronies I am not aware of any gladiator personas. I will ask around within the groups and see if they know of anyone. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat. Also if this fair would like to bring in some Roman reenactors let me know.

Regards,
Marcus
Its a shame, for a moment I thought this was a prequel to the "Debbie does" series.
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Martin Kealey, perhaps. Although Atlanta is a bit away, too.
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/profile...ealey.html
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
@Marcus Norwood

Thank you for your response! If you do happen to find anyone in Texas, especially in Dallas with interest in doing gladiatorial combat, I definitely want to get back into doing that. On having Roman reenactors at the festival I'm a part of, it would be unfortunately a tiny bit out of our time period. The only reason my particular side of the festival (the mythological court) has the potential in our storyline for gladiators is because [and remember that the mythological court is fantasy and mythological based, so we have a lot of leeway to do things] they had an ally obtain several before their exodus to the island they live on in the Caribbean. We have a fantasy festival that's taking place on the weekend of July 5th and I'm actually looking at doing a gladiator themed LARP combat tournament, if there's enough interest, as one of several tournament style contests during the course of the weekend, and I'm even looking at getting into the action (working on a subligaria as we speak....). Any reenactor would be welcome to come as a patron, but not really as part of the performance teams (unless they were one of 4 gladiator spots I have alloted for, this can change based on interest.). I might be able to throw a spot for a Roman character to be their "owner", the one who was the ally that obtained the gladiators for us.

@caiusbeerquitius
Atlanta would be a bit of a haul for me to get a chance to do gladiatorial combat again....:-((