Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tacitus, Cassio Dio, Julius Caesar Books
Can someone please recommend me the best translations for the works of the authors above.

I found something on Tacitus.....the description mentioned the complete works aside from the Annals. When I looked up Cassius Dio, there were so many volumes. Is there one book that has everything?

Same goes for Julius Caesar.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Can someone please recommend me the best translations for the works of the authors above.
English translations of Tacitus and Julius Caesar are available in Penguin Classics and Oxford World Classics editions. A translation of the books of Cassius Dio describing the reign of Augustus is available in a Penguin Classics edition.

As for "the best" translation, it probably depends on your expectations. If you're hoping to pin a thesis on it, you'll need to consult the original texts, to make sure you haven't missed any nuances. The Loeb Classical Library is probably your best bet for that. But if you're reading for pleasure, I'd start with the Penguins. (btw The next volume in Robert Strassler's Landmark series of translations will apparently be Caesar.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hello Duncan,

Thank you for the guidance. I am reading just for knowledge and also because I give presentations on Roman armor.....just in case someone has a question.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
For quick translations if you just need to check something, I recumbent the website LacusCurtius. Its contains mostly transcriptions of out of date Loebs, but it has a wide range of texts. As Duncan said, not something that you'd want to base a dissertation on, but very useful if you just want to check a passage without running down to the library. Greek and Roman texts in the original language can be found online (without an apparatus) at the Perseus project and www.thelatinlibrary.com.
Quote:(btw The next volume in Robert Strassler's Landmark series of translations will apparently be Caesar.)

Interesting. My mail was Polybius.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Hi,
Doc ,
as for "easily referable" english translations I'd second the recommendation of Lacus Curtius
(well , you may ask ....a German .... English Translation of classical scripts ?!
....how does this add up ?? Well , let's say : It adds up quite nicely if I'm in a hurry :errr: )
as for "original Versions" in Latin/Greece and ohter languages I'd give a recommendation for "Bibliotheca Augustana"
http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/augustana.html
....for completeness "in one go" -- at least in my experience.
(I may add: I got more Troubles reading Greek than English :wink: )

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Landmark Julius Caesar - Web Essays Steve Kaye 1 1,671 12-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Julius Caesar & Kabuki -- A Match Made in NYC... Narukami 0 1,447 06-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Julius Caesar\'s Greatest Battle Anonymous 6 2,609 11-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Last Post: mcbishop