Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOTW baldric help
[attachment=9545]image_2014-04-09-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9545]image_2014-04-09-2.jpg[/attachment]
In the mail today I just received a soul of the warrior baldrics for my gladius. It comes in 3 different parts and I am not sure how to properly use them. Generally I like to be a problem solver and figure things out like this but I want wear it proper second century style on my right hip ( if there is such a thing) some directions and/or guidance would be much appreciated. GRATIASTIBI

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder
Yeah it's pretty complex. First thing you want to do is take the little hook and connect it on the left end of the largest piece. Then tie that firmly in place with a LOT of string, because it likes to come apart.

Not sure why Al-Hamdd made the design even more complex with a buckle and what looks like a Late Roman strap end, but anyways, buckle those two together.

Finally, to attach it to your blade, unscrew the little loops (they look like rivets but are actually screws) and the piece with two loops should attach to the side of your scabbard that faces to the rear, and the single loop attaches to the other side.

Also, make sure you pinch the scabbard loops tight and pinch all the brass pieces on your sword's scabbard down hard with needle nose pliers. Throw some clear superglue in behind em first, and that should keep it locked in place.

EDIT: Which reminds me I need to tell Rusty too get Al-Hamdd to make these things all one piece.
Thank you, any period roman string I should use. Or would cutting cord from an old leather belt work?
Now that I can wear the sword, how can I keep the scabbard from getting tangled in my legs? the baldrics is already at the tightest setting.
Grow taller Tongue

Seriously though, put it under your belt. That should help.
The pommel of your sword should fit right underneath your armpit - that's the correct height (if necessary punch extra holes or shorten it). If it's there and your sword comes out of its scabbard easily enough, it is not necessary to put your belt on top of it.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Hopefully I'll grow taller, I'm 5 9" I'm assuming there are other reenact its that height, and for belt I really want a balteus, just don't have the money, my carhartt belt should make due for now
I got one just like it and I use it just as Titus says, I don't even have to place it under my belt, it rides on my side just fine. I am only 5'6". I had to file the buckle a bit and still got to file some more because it come's off very easy.
It is also interesting to note that there is little (or none at all!) evidence that this type of fasteners were used on swordbelts/baldrics. This part is indeed often misidentified by archeologist, but does belong to the horse harnass strappings.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yeah, as I mentioned before I have been bugging Rusty to get Al-Hamdd to make these all one piece.
Alexious, I find it to be quite awesome that by your picture I can tell you served/are serving in the marines, it seems that a fair number of people on roman army talk are in the military, hopefully I will get into west point, and join the 75th rangers (I'm trying to not get my hopes up) thanks for your service.
Don't buy a so called Baldric....they don't exist.
Cut yourself a piece of leather to do the job....its half the price.
Kevin.
Kevin