Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Reading the SECRET BOOK
When a book is titled, Prehistoric Steppe Adaptation and the Horse, you know it covers a few years before Hadrian was born. Yet even the Romans used horses, which of course originally came from the steppe. Well, anyway, I thought it might be an interesting volume, perhaps quite dry but hopefully interesting to someone like me. :whistle:

BUT there is a slight problem. The book was published in 2005 by the McDonald Institute, not to be confused with a Big Mac. And evidently, to save moola, the McDonald folks printed just enough copies to give one to each of its several contributors. A thorough search on the internet has produced the following prices: :woot:

Amazon.com--- Sorry, Not Available
Books A Million-- Nope, Not Available
Barnes & Noble-- Yup, Not Available
Amazon.ca-- $1,371.31 Canadian (slightly over my budget)
Amazon.fr-- 912,31 Euros
Bokus.com-- 696 Euros (What? No additional 31 piddlinas?)

Well, you get the picture. Cool
You're not going to find anyone reviewing this jemmo for awhile. After all-- it's THE Secret Book. :eek:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Hi Alan

That's a great shame as it sounds like a really good book.

Was it a general interest read for you or someting specific you were looking for? I have some articles about earliest domestication of the horse on the steppe if that helps?

There are some pdfs in this link, two of them are chapters from the book.

http://www2.arch.cam.ac.uk/~ml12/publications.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Alanus, I have sent you a PM. Confusedmile:
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Another contribution of this book can be find here

Perhaps try to contact one of the editors
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thank you all for the reply,

I have a couple of PMs to attend to on this subject. Wink

Decebalus provides a link to one chapter, ie Farmers and Pastoralists of the Pontic Lowland, but I'm looking for more grit.

As some of you know, I'm a disciple of Marija Gimbutas, J.P. Mallory, and David Anthony, all of whom have a good handle on early horse domestication/riding and the kurgan cultures. The book above has "alternative" arguments, particularly by Colin Renfrew and two of his McDonald assistants. One reviewer notes that a certain chapter "defies logic." This whole horse, wheel, and language, subject is important to me simply because it defines where we (as a culture) came from-- and it pinpoints how the Greeks, Romans, Celts, and Germans, became what they were.

The steppe was the super-highway of the ancient world, and through it spread amazing technology and a language group now used by 80 % of the globe. The end result was what we see in Rome, the Enemies of Rome, and even China.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Here it is!

REMOVED BY MODERATOR

click on the cover and "save as"....
All 424 pages (I downloaded it in about 12 seconds)
It's free and legal! :woot:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

EDIT:

Did not know the website was shady. My apologies.
Quote:Great links! I'm downloading them all too.
I bet everybody is - it's a Russian pirate site! B&C2 is there in all its glory too, without a penny going to any of the people who produced the volumes.

I thought there was a RAT policy against this sort of thing Undecided

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there