Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old is Rome ?
How old is Rome ? ;-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...mains.html

arrivederci,
Emilio
Yeah, I saw that, and the first thing I thought of was this:

Quote:[T]he Forum Boarium has yielded some fragments of Apennine pottery, dating from the middle Bronze Age, which are among the earliest traces of human activity in the area... The first traces of permanent habitation on the site of Rome date back to around 1000 BC, and consist of a handful of cremation graves in the Forum.

The Beginnings of Rome, T.J. Cornell, page 48

So we already know humans were permanently settled on the site of Rome about a century before the wall mentioned in the Telegraph article. This new evidence doesn't push back the date of Rome's habitation any, because we already have older evidence. Still, it is nice to know excavations are still coming up with new information.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Hi, Epictetus

I agree with you: many archaeological excavations confirm human presence, on the site of Rome, many centuries (from 1600 BC ) before the "Official Foundation Date."

The new discovery is not a trivial wall. This wall, made from blocks of volcanic tuff, appeared to have been built to channel water from a spring under the Capitoline hill that flows into the river Spino, a tributary of the Tiber.

This may be the first work of infrastructure under an area where there will be the assemblies of the people in arms, and where will convene the Council of the King.
An area that will become the most sacred in Rome: the "Forum Romanum".

arrivederci,
emilio