Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An inscription by many decurions? (Mavors8 needed)
Hi folks,

I am working on my Master's thesis about centurions and decurions of the auxilia, more specifically concerning their possible activities in the civil/civic/urban life/world (cities, mostly) in the Western part of the Roman Empire. For this I am making a prosopography of these officers, using as starting point the works of Spaul (Ala2, 1994 and Cohors2, 2000). Spaul refers to an inscription as "Mavors 8 p.62", which appears to mention quite a number of decurions of the Ala Cannanefatium (at least 14, so possibly all of them).

Our university library doesn't have Mavors 8 (M.P. Speidel, Roman Military Studies II, 1992) and [strike]nowhere on the internet I can find the inscription[/strike] with my latest search, just this minute, while typing this, I luckily found the inscription on Ubi Erat Lupa (http://www.ubi-erat-lupa.org/monument.php?id=8228), including other references.

As I have typed my message anyway, I would like to ask if anyone here has Mavors 8 on his/her bookshelf and would be so kind to take a look at page 62 and let me know what Speidel has to say about it - that would be greatly appreciated.

For a scan of the page I am willing to worship you as a demi-god. Send cult-statue; so that I can make a small sacrifice of bacon and eggs if you like. Followed by the erection of an inscription mentioning VSLLM of course.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:As I have typed my message anyway, I would like to ask if anyone here has Mavors 8 on his/her bookshelf and would be so kind to take a look at page 62 and let me know what Speidel has to say about it - that would be greatly appreciated.
You can get a sneaky (but not very helpful) peek here.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:a sneaky (but not very helpful) peek

That's quite the accurate description. :wink:
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
LOL - at least I've learned I have a MAVORS 1. Didn't know that (sorry, also not very helpful)

There's a secondary reference in Spaul to Saalburg Jahrbuch 43 - that may be easier to find??
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Wait until monday! :-)
Now you've made me very curious. :wink:

Quote:LOL - at least I've learned I have a MAVORS 1. Didn't know that (sorry, also not very helpful)

There's a secondary reference in Spaul to Saalburg Jahrbuch 43 - that may be easier to find??

Hi Moi,

You got me excited there - for a moment. Our library has the Saalburg Jahrbuch... up to volume 40/41. :? Kinda the same song over and over again with libraries... Just the one thing (just only that) you need, is missing (lost, stolen, ...?) or not in the collection for some mysterious reason.

Thanks anyway. Smile And glad to help you realise your a Mavors-1-owner. :grin:
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Spaul refers to an inscription as "Mavors 8 p.62", which appears to mention quite a number of decurions of the Ala Cannanefatium (at least 14, so possibly all of them).
Spaul should really have cited AE 1972, 446-7.

Quote:I would like to ask if anyone here has Mavors 8 on his/her bookshelf and would be so kind to take a look at page 62 and let me know what Speidel has to say about it - that would be greatly appreciated.
A full citation would've helped, but luckily this web page links your page ref with Saalburg Jahrbuch 43 (1987). Not the easiest journal to scan on an A4 scanner!

Edit: Doesn't seem to have attached my scan, for some reason. I'll try again later.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Spaul should really have cited AE 1972, 446-7.
Indeed, he should have. As I said in the opening post, coincidentally I did find the inscription on UEL and from there the standard references. I presume he wanted to cite the most recent or interesting publication? Or he didn't realise it had been published in the Année Épigraphique before (which seems highly unlikely)?

He gives some concordances for some of the inscriptions but they are incomplete.

Overall, there are some very irritating mistakes/typos in Spaul's work. Quite often references to inscriptions have mistakes in them (wrong year of the AE, for instance) and in the indices (which I use intensively) there are some faulty ascriptions of soldiers to units (which are correct in the book itself, however).

Quote:A full citation would've helped, but luckily this web page links your page ref with Saalburg Jahrbuch 43 (1987). Not the easiest journal to scan on an A4 scanner!
Yes, you're right, I'm sorry; I don't know why I didn't include that. Thanks for your efforts even without full citation.
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
I wonder if you can attach a PDF to a post?
[attachment=9510]SpeidelMP_1987_SaalburgJahrbuch43.pdf[/attachment]

Attached Files
.pdf   SpeidelMP_1987_SaalburgJahrbuch43.pdf (Size: 1.28 MB / Downloads: 0)
Apparently you can. Smile

Thank you very much!
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Thank you very much!
Most welcome. I think the file was originally too large, but I "optimized" it. :-)
Campbell was faster, but Marvos 8 hast 3 more annotations on the last page (the rest is an exact photocopy of the Saalburg article). So for the sake of completeness I scanned them and also the table of contents.

Attached Files
.pdf   Mavors8additionalinformation.pdf (Size: 274.92 KB / Downloads: 0)
Hi Florianus,

Many thanks!
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decurions and Centurions Jack 9 3,499 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Jack
  Needed: inscription to Claudianus, Napoli sonic 4 1,710 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Needed: Defaced inscription of Stilicho in the Roman Forum sonic 3 1,837 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Last Post: SigniferOne