Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waddon Hill Dorset
Hi all.
Would anyone have any Internet links or Book links that I could find more info on the Roman Fort at the above said location.
I know it was excavated in the '60's by Graham Webster, but I am finding it very hard to get any details.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin.
Kevin
Quote:I know it was excavated in the '60's by Graham Webster, but I am finding it very hard to get any details.
Unfortunately, Webster published in the Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeology Society (vol. 82, 1960; etc.), which is not readily available.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Does that mean that there is paperwork in Dorset somewhere?
Thank you for the info. Mr Campbell.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin - I assume you must have lost this when your computer went phut as I sent the DNHA links to you last year! There's a reference copy at Dorchester Museum and I think Wessex Archaeology have a set which could, potentially, be made available for research, but on their premises only.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thank you Moi.....Laptop went more than.....pphhhwwwllleeewww......or what ever one wants to call it. Yep, lost it all. Can you send relevant link's to my mail please Ta in advance and I owe you big time. I can get into Wessex no probs.....I just quote Watson...Smile.....would never do it, don't worry.
Kevin
Kevin
You could try that and they would probably call the police!! Wink

Here you go - hopefully the links within it are live:

http://research.dorsetcountymuseum.org/sW.html

Bournemouth Uni also have them.

If I am still a member of the Roman Society, I'll check out their library too.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
"Hello Wessex Archaeology.....this is Kev, Moi told me you could give me some info......Who do you mean. Its restricted? .I have.never met a Moi in my life...Bye".....bugger, Bourne Syndrome happening......Yep.....you are right. Can you send basics of operation in mail please.Smile Smile
Kevin
Quote:"Hello Wessex Archaeology.....this is Kev, Moi told me you could give me some info......Who do you mean. Its restricted? .I have.never met a Moi in my life...Bye".....bugger, Bourne Syndrome happening......Yep.....you are right. Can you send basics of operation in mail please.Smile Smile

Basics of operation? Erm, I'm guessing getting in contact with Wessex? No nothing about Bourne Syndrome ...clearly missing something here.
Moi Watson

you might want to try this, cheaper than petrol for the visit;
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDe...mp%3By%3D9

FINAL REPORT ON THE EXCAVATIONS OF THE ROMAN FORT AT WADDON HILL, STOKE ABBOTT, 1963 - 69.
OFF-PRINTED FROM THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY VOLUME 101 FOR 1979.
Graham Webster.

Publication Date: 1979
or if you have the shelf space buy the whole book for less;

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDe...FOR%2B1979
I have Graham Webster's three reports in one form or another. It would be a bit of a performance scanning/copying them but PM me and we can work out how to get them to you. The simplest course might be for me to post them to you, so that you can copy them at your leisure and then send them back.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I'm a bit late replying.....Apologies.
Thanks for the offer Micheal, but I have purchased the above report now.
Kevin
Kevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intaglio from Waddon Hill, Dorset. 66kbm 4 1,484 09-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Bath House, Waddon Hill 66kbm 2 1,534 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Dorchester, Dorset, Fort? II AVG 66kbm 2 1,103 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Vindex