Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intercisa helmets - photos
What if the supporting mount was wooden?

I see your point though.
they are at work send them tomorrow.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
as promissed.
[attachment=9488]intersica-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9489]intersica-2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Wait... where's the ridge?
Quote:Wait... where's the ridge?
The helmet didn't (seem to :?) have one.
You mean the River Maas helmet? Yeah it does have a ridge, the reconstruction is wrong as I have mentioned several times.
According to Miks, the crest is the main joint.

Quote:Yeah it does have a ridge [..].
Could you provide references? I would be very interested. Thanks.
It's a ridge helmet. The only thing that was found was chunks of the rim an crest. They took those pieces and for some reason, mounted them on a banded helmet even though it was the 1990's and everyone knew what the Intercisa Helmet was.

The reconstruction shown in the 2nd post of this thread is the River Maas Helmet. And it's a crappy reconstruction because someone misinterpreted the rivet mount for the Chi-Rho thingy as part of a band running down the center of the helmet, which would make absolutely NO sense because how is 1 line of rivets supposed to hold two bowl halves together?
Quote:[..] which would make absolutely NO sense because how is 1 line of rivets supposed to hold two bowl halves together?
There are two lines of rivets: One on each side of the horizontal part of the inverted "T". So the crest connects the two bowl halves.
I was talking about the actual reconstruction of the River Maas Helmet on the 1st page.

For the diagram above, it still doesn't work because the metal gilding that survives suggests that the crest was welded on. Look at the angle of the gilding near the base of the crest. It's diagonal, as if it was going over a weld.
Quote:For the diagram above, it still doesn't work because the metal gilding that survives suggests that the crest was welded on. Look at the angle of the gilding near the base of the crest. It's diagonal, as if it was going over a weld.
The surviving helmet parts don't contradict the construction drawing.
Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=353571 Wrote:Wait... where's the ridge?
The helmet didn't (seem to :?) have one.
According to A.-M. Jouquand-Thomas et. al., the ridge and the crest of the Kessel-Hout helmet consist of a single piece: The horizontal part of the inverted "T" is the ridge, whereas the vertical part is the crest.
Ah, so the crest was riveted to the central ridge? That makes more sense.
Quote:as promissed.

Thanks for the drawing, however I don't see that sketch supported by the evidence of other finds. That helmet is wayyy to fragmentary to draw those conclusions. There are many other more complete helmets that show a composition as follows. This is well published by Dr.Christian Miks.
[attachment=9505]CrestandRidgeexample.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Sorry to break in the conversation but as a helmophile I must know where these pictures/sources are from and if they are available online.
Damian Laurence Zamprogno