Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intercisa helmets - photos
I'm looking for some good quality pictures of Intercisa helmets - could people post below?
Thanks!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
might this be good enough.
[attachment=9476]intersica1_2014-04-01.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I even have construction drawing.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I should note that the reconstrucion of the River Maas helmet is inaccurate and needs to be redone.

It's provenance also isn't 100% secure.

"I even have construction drawing."

Agrimensor,

Yes please!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
The slots in the top of the helmets, metal or horsehair crest?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Metal. Horsehair is standing on weak base, especially in late roman times.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Metal. Horsehair is standing on weak base, especially in late roman times.

Not really. Lots of Horsehair crests in artistic representation. Besides, I seriously doubt that when you have whole examples of the metal surviving like the Augst Helmet, that the metal Crest wouldn't. An iron metal crest would have survived in that example, so it must have used a horsehair or feather crest with a wooden crest box
There are some in my collection of pics from the museum in Budapest:-
http://s418.photobucket.com/user/medicus...t=2&page=1

Page 4 I think.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
[Image: PC060141.jpg]

These are the Intercisa Helmets alright. Same ones Deepeeka based their helmets off of. Some have errors...

Anyways, from Left to Right:

Intercisa-IV (Missing the central Ridge), Intercisa-II, Intercisa-I, and Intercisa-III. The last one probably had a wooden, rather than metal crest.
Here´s some of mine:

Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:The slots in the top of the helmets, metal or horsehair crest?

Quote:Metal. Horsehair is standing on weak base, especially in late roman times.

Quote:Not really. Lots of Horsehair crests in artistic representation. Besides, I seriously doubt that when you have whole examples of the metal surviving like the Augst Helmet, that the metal Crest wouldn't. An iron metal crest would have survived in that example, so it must have used a horsehair or feather crest with a wooden crest box

Abb. 15 (p. 464) shows how the slots were used to attach metal crests: [hide]https://www.academia.edu/5624723/Christian_Miks_Spatromische_Kammhelme_mit_hoher_Kammscheibe._Jahrbuch_des_Romisch-Germanischen_Zentralmuseums_Mainz_55_2008_449-482[/hide].
Yes, I know. I'm saying they could have just as easily had feather or horsehair crests too. We see them all the time in Late Roman Art, some of which we know are directly influenced by actual Roman military.

You are right in that the crest slots were used for metal crests, but in cases where the helmet has said slots, and no metal crest survives, it would be logical to infer it was made of a material that could not have survived under the circumstances it was found in. E.g. Wood, horsehair, feather, etc
Quote:You are right in that the crest slots were used for metal crests, but in cases where the helmet has said slots, and no metal crest survives, it would be logical to infer it was made of a material that could not have survived under the circumstances it was found in. E.g. Wood, horsehair, feather, etc
Miks suspects that the helmets, that have crest attachement slots, but were found without a crest, never were equipped with a crest.
Quote: it would be logical to infer it was made of a material that could not have survived under the circumstances it was found in. E.g. Wood, horsehair, feather, etc

It would be equally logical to summise that they were simply deposited without their crests. Even if the crest itself were made from a material which had perished, the supporting mount which engaged with the helmet itself would have been metal and would have left some trace of itself.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]