Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum Sling/Carrying Strap
I've been searching through some older topics and have been reading about carrying straps/slings for a scutum shield. It seems pretty practical for shield carrying cavalry to have had to have had a sling for their shields and that it was probably also pretty useful for infantry as well. I was wondering if anyone has ever experimented with carrying the shield in their left hand on a sling, while slinging/strapping their sword in its scabbard on the left, instead of the right. If so, would the slung shield interfere greatly with the sword, especially if a baldric is used? Could that be a possible reason for the ranker soldiers carrying their swords on the right, vice left, while officers, who would usually have some else carry their shield, a personal slave/servant/calo/shield bearer, having their's on the left?

Also, could the shield still be used effectively in combat to its full maneuverability while still slung?

Thanks,
Bryan
We do know that Legionaries on the march expected (but did not always get) sufficient warning of battle to un-sling shields and remove their leather covers.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
i use a single sling, over the shoulder with a fast release (like used on balteus) the shield is lose in about 10 sec and ready for use. The sling is atached to the handle of the scutum and won't come off.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
For those reenactors that have a scutum and sword who also use carrying straps/harness/slings on their shields, can you perform a quick experiment and write of your results? Attach your sword to your left hip, not your right, and walk around your backyard with your shield slung on left side a bit and see if is hindered. Also, try drawing the sword with the sling still attached and see if it interferes greatly.
I've worn my scutum on my back for more than 600 km marching now.
I remain convinced that carrying it so is the most sensible method. Other methods lead to shoulder/arm injury or strain over 10-20-30 km.

It's combat ready in less than 30 seconds, and I can draw my gladius easily without taking it off.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Thank you for the contributions so far but I am wondering if some experiments by those of you that have your own kit can help a frater out.

I am referring specifically to a slinging method that would be looped over the head to sit on the right shoulder, that was designed to take the weight off the shield when carried in the approach march, from the camp to the battlelines, or or when scaling a ladder or such. Similar to the Junklemann harness or something as simple as a leather strap attached to the shield's grip or near it. Something that would have also been necessary for cavalrymen who carried shields, especially in the pre-horned saddle days. I ask that someone who has a shield, a leather strap, sword and belt, perform the following and then write of their experience:
- Sling shield so it sits on your left side.
- Attach sword on belt or baldric so it will be on the left side.
- Attempt to walk and see if the shield sling interferes with the sword's hilt in a way that would be annoying
- Attempt to draw the sword with the shield still slung, without looking at the sword to untangle the slings or to avoid slicing your own arm

Thanks,
Bryan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fitting a scutum (Republican) with carrying strap ParthianBow 19 4,934 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Supplier for Scutum Carry Sling and Hardware Antoninus05 25 6,151 03-24-2011, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Scutum carrying strap Marcus Mummius 22 5,995 01-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Last Post: L C Cinna