Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blacksmith anvil
I have been thinking of a blacksmith impression; the modern anvils are nothing like (from what I can see) ancient anvils: fresco images are all pretty small pieces of iron. I think the follow source of "stump" and block anvils seem close to actual Roman; any thoughts on this?

http://www.oldworldanvils.com/anvils/index.html
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Oh yes, very good!! That 4 by 4 stump anvil looks just the ticket. I use one very much like it. The stake or beaked anvil used by the Romans is a different story, I had mine made to the specifications of a find from Austria. They have been found elsewhere, though. There are a few descibed in Manning from England with a scale drawing. I did an article on Roman blacksmithing in Ancient Warfare magazine, which is also available on my website with their kind permission. This may help you along in the way of background. The other article has a few How-To diagramns, that should help you get started on the technique.

Happy smithing :woot: !
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert Wimmers is your man, Richard! He has a Roman blacksmith impression (extension of his real work), and uses old anvils.
Eduardo Vázquez

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap little Anvil. brennivs - tony drake 13 3,464 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Wes