Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Were The Bastarnae?
One of Rome's toughest enemies; who were the Bastarnae?

http://balkancelts.wordpress.com/2014/03...starnae-2/
Hello, Petar

Are you really asking a question?
According to Tacitus and Strabo, they started off as a "Germanic" tribe, geographically and linguistically East Germanic. Both historians were careful in writing, but Romans had a propensity to simplify ethnicity. As Sarmatian groups migrated into (and through) Bastarnae territory, their ethnogenesis changed. Later writers described them as Sarmatians (not true) or Scythians, the latter being a "blanket name" for just about anyone living north of the Ister. I would say the Bastarnae got "Sarmatianized," just as the Goths did. Remember, even the Roxolani (about as Sarmatian as you could get) were once lumped with the Bastarnae due to their temporary proximity.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Is it true that they would refer to themselves as the Bastarnae Inglouriae?

:whistle: :wink:
They adopted that name after moving to Pitt-cairn Island in the lower Danube.
I'm only aware of the Bastarnae because Roman historians linked them with Sarmatians, a common practice. Tacitus described more than one East Germanic tribe as being "polluted" by Sarmatian ways. I imagine we can picture these East Germans as abandoning their houses and moving into wagons. Next thing you know, they'd be forsaking walking in favor of riding horses. :woot:

Evidently, Brad Pitt became their chieftain. Confusedilly:

Hard to tell what anybody actually called themselves, usually (I think) something like "the People." Or maybe "the best People" or the "chosen People"... if you get what I mean. 8-)

Names are strange in their origin. There were no less than a dozen "Araxes" rivers. Why? Because, as it turns out, "araxes" meant "river." :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bastarnae? Anabasis 2 1,958 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Anabasis