Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clamor and Barritus: Roman war cries
For those interested in Roman war cries, Philip Rance's entry on the subject from The Encyclopedia of the Roman Army can be read here. My related note, on the clashing of weapons, is available here.
Thanks for that, Ross

However, Rance might have done a better job if he separated the barritus into its own paragraph. We read about how it was important to keep things quiet... then along comes "it's OK to shout your brains out," and finally the stuff about the "watch word" which has nothing to do with anything, really.

The barritus was late, and it was not Germanic in origin. At the time, the Roman army was stuffed to max by Goths and Alans. Neither were "Germanic."

Once in awhile, it would be nice to read something accurate... and well-written. At least before I die of old age. Cry
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
From the accounts in Ammianus where troops raised the Barritus, and from Vegetius, I thought it was fairly clear that it derived from the Germanic recruits that originally formed the auxila units such as the Batavi?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Perhaps I'm wrong. I encountered Ammianus' mention of the barritus at the battle of ad Salices (the Willows) in the late 370s. When was the earlier mention, date-wise?
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Perhaps I'm wrong. I encountered Ammianus' mention of the barritus at the battle of ad Salices (the Willows) in the late 370s. When was the earlier mention, date-wise?

The first time Ammianus mentions it is in his description of the Battle of Argentoratum, 357AD. Its quite obvious this was not the first time that particular war cry had been raised, and Ammianus was clearly familiar with it so I would suggest it was being used when Ammianus first entered the Army.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Thanks,

AD 357 puts it back in the Alemanni wars, at which time the Roman army was stacked with Franks and some Goths. So, yes, the barritus could have a Germanic origin, but quite frankly (no pun intended), I think the Navi' shouted something similar and they popped right out of James Cameron's head. Confusedmile:

None of this explains why Rance discussed 3 differing verbal subjects in a single paragraph. I mean there's a significant difference between a "watch word" (probably whispered) and a whole bunch of guys screaming their heads off. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)