Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation to latine and Late antiquity cursive
Well it should be clear that it is is Mauricius and "his"sons(not some other guy sons).But their deposition should be not mentioned in the text.

So to make it clear to that original sentence "Tyrant Mauricius and his sons" translation Mauricius Tyrannus filliique fits the best?Or "Mauricius Tyrannus eiusque filii" is alright as well?-this second possibility would be better solely from compositional reasons(because it is longer and closer to Greek part of this text in lenght).
[Image: writing_zpsb66d3c14.jpg]

Latin tends to drop pronouns unless making something truly explicit or adding emphasis, in a sentence like that where the additional information (filiisque - and his sons) are so closely related to the prime subject (Tyrannus Mauricius) then it would use a reflexive pronoun if it wanted to rather than a generic third person one. Either way, nothing is needed and suspect were a real Roman writing this it would be even shorter due to the handy abbreviations they had.

I've used two scripts. The first (red) is a uncial script directly derived from Roman cursive in use until pretty late and the ancestor of most Western European scripts. I've written in quite casually as one finds it in letters and so on though there are wonderfully ornate variants produced by monks. It's one of the scripts we all learn, though I've no real talent or I could have produced something pretty. Feel free ton neaten it up, make it more monkish and so on.

The second script, blue, is a type of genuine Roman cursive used for a few hundred years (4th to about the 7th/8th). It was...difficult. I can write pretty fluently in Old Roman Cursive which is similar in many letterforms but quite sloppy and far too early. This version also fits, perhaps a little less than the above script, its much more informal and tends to be found on papyrus and pots and on walls etc.
Jass
Thank you very much for your effort Jass!
I will send you that painting(not finished yet.)so you can see very well in what context and situation it will be used :-)
I'll chime in and say that you don't need "eius", since, as it has been pointed out, Latin only specifies when the connection is not obvious.

"Eius" would probably wrong in either case, I'd prefer "sui" - as the sons refer back to the subject, there should be a reflexive pronoun (suus, a, um), not the demonstrative pronoun (is, ea, id).
Jenny Dolfen

My illustrated novel project: [URL="http://darknessovercannae.com/"]Darkness over Cannae[/URL]
Well-I hate Latin :grin:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Siren Call of Late Antiquity –Beginner\'s Questions Lupianus 8 2,309 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,649 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX