Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian\'s Wall Trust to Close
Good thing or bad thing?

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/cash-c...-1.1124842
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Why would it be a good thing? I don't know much about it. Are they.... unpopular?

Penrith and the Border MP Rory Stewart says it’s vital that a successor to the trust is found. He said: “There are some really successful parts of the wall but nobody has tried to think about the monument as a whole.”

How do you measure the 'success' of an ancient monument, I wonder? Hadrian's Wall has been underperforming - it must be replaced by a better and more competitive Wall, etc... :dizzy:
Nathan Ross
Quote:How do you measure the 'success' of an ancient monument, I wonder?
Many different ways. People walking the coast to coast Trail, perhaps? Around 7,000 per annum, way above what was originally envisaged when the Trail started in 2003. The money it brings into the local economy? Tourism is vital in areas like Cumbria and Northumberland, but it is far from the only source of income. But, perhaps the biggest gain has been the infiltration of the Wall into everybody's consciousness. How many charity walkers want to do the Wall dressed up as, oooh I don't know, a Republican legionary? Lots. I get a steady stream of notifications of people doing it for this or that reason.

But the important thing to remember is that monuments, like nice views or fresh air, are not businesses with business plans, goals, and mission statements. They need love, respect, and - yes - money. And if anybody feels the need to ask 'why?' then what on earth are you doing here, reading all this Roman nonsense? ;-)

At a time when we still seem to be funding half-witted bankers to lose money by the truck-load (my own bank, the Co-operative, was, it emerged recently, run by a junkie with no banking experience, but let's leave that aside...), we need to assert the importance of the more intangible components of our existence, and those include, whether people like it or not, what we these days call 'heritage'.

Now the fact that the HWT are rolling over and dying (something which has evoked mixed feelings, as they were not universally loved and some even, rightly or wrongly, considered them incompetent) has little to do with the monument itself (which is still under statutory protection from English Heritage) but does affect access to and enjoyment of said monument (sorry, we're supposed to call them 'heritage assets' these days, but that piece of businessspeak just sucks, so I still use 'monument') by you, me, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

In the first instance they administered the AD122 bus service that went to the main sites along the Wall. That is under threat but it is hoped something will be retrieved from the wreckage. Then there is the National Trail itself. Maintenance was carried out by a Trail Officer and two lengthsmen and was essential to keep the path walkable and protect the monument from damage where the Trail interacts with it (as here, where it crosses the ditch in Wall Mile 32).

[Image: 150517548_b6a7df7ba4.jpg]

The lengthsmen have now gone, I understand, so if there is a really bad summer, like 2012 (when the above ditch crossing was a quagmire of goo), things could get nasty. Worst-case scenario: the path might have to be closed to protect the archaeology. Nobody knows at the moment. There is talk of the local highways departments taking over its maintenance, but since our roads are full of potholes, that doesn't sound too promising.

So, yes it does matter, but it matters mostly because of the uncertainties, the lack of funds to do anything, and the fact that, despite all the guff about debts and deficits, Lamborghini sales are at an all-time high, we are still one of the richest nations on the planet, and we have a responsibility not to let this sort of sh*t happen on our watch.

One final measure of success for you. Local MP Rory Stewart wants to demonstrate against the end of the Union when Scotland votes upon its independence. How does he choose to do it? By asking for volunteers to join hands along the Wall. Not along the Scottish border (which is way to the north, something most Brits are vaguely unaware of), but along the Wall. 'Nuff said.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Having just spent the last Christmas period painting three artworks for Hadrian's Wall Trust I am saddened to hear this news.

Also as a non-driver, yes we do exist, the AD122 bus was a real boon. Hopefully as Mike suggests that at least will be saved.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Do we really want Hadrians wall going the same way as Pompeii? Look what's happened to Pompeii, the Gladiator school fell into bits, and three other buildings have collapsed the last three months, and many walls have either fallen down or are about to. This was all due to lack of funds from the Italian government for maintaining these irreplacable buildings. Finally the Italians ahve been stung into providing more funding but I fear its a case of too little, too late, which will happen to the wall unless something is done.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
This is just heartbreaking.THe day I retire I was planning on heading straight over and doing the walk. Looks like that may not happen now Sad Sad Sad
Quote:This is just heartbreaking.THe day I retire I was planning on heading straight over and doing the walk. Looks like that may not happen now Sad Sad Sad
No, this is a glitch but the Trail is too good to suffer in the long term so you will get your chance. Here's a piece from the Indie which sets out just what the Trust, love 'em or hate 'em, had achieved and it all has to be put in the context of tourist figures crashing during (and after) foot-and-mouth in 2001. Key paragraph is at the end:

The Trust arrested a 30-year decline in visitor numbers and in five years the attendances at the 11 museums across the site rose from 600,000 to one million in 2011/12, putting it on a par with Stonehenge.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Currahee Chris post=353141 Wrote:This is just heartbreaking.THe day I retire I was planning on heading straight over and doing the walk. Looks like that may not happen now Sad Sad Sad
No, this is a glitch but the Trail is too good to suffer in the long term so you will get your chance. Here's a piece from the Indie which sets out just what the Trust, love 'em or hate 'em, had achieved and it all has to be put in the context of tourist figures crashing during (and after) foot-and-mouth in 2001. Key paragraph is at the end:

The Trust arrested a 30-year decline in visitor numbers and in five years the attendances at the 11 museums across the site rose from 600,000 to one million in 2011/12, putting it on a par with Stonehenge.

Mike Bishop

Whew!!! Thanks for that Mike. This is a good bit of news to hear then.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,251 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,140 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,565 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo