Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 4th Brother: Rua, Octar, Mundzuk, and ?
Priscus mentions there was a brother of Mundzuk in Attila's court when he visited in 449, and he mentions his name. However, I don't have Priscus and can't remember it. Can someone be of assisstance here?
Priscus Fr. 14, Blockley. (Exc.de Leg. rom. 3)
Quote:‘On the next day Attila again invited us to a banquet, and in the same manner as before we presented ourselves and took part in the feast. On this occasion it was not the eldest of his sons who was seated next to him on the couch, but Oebarsius, his paternal uncle.'
Interesting, Bleda & Attila ordered the murder of 2 nephews when they took over yet their uncle was allowed to live, for some reason they did not see him as a threat. Maybe he was illegitimate in the eyes of the ruling class? Religious reasons perhaps, a shaman of some sort or maybe Attila had a softer side? More likely he may have been considered to old to rule or the murder of their nephews was a personal matter for Attila & Bleda.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Quote:Interesting, Bleda & Attila ordered the murder of 2 nephews when they took over yet their uncle was allowed to live, for some reason they did not see him as a threat. Maybe he was illegitimate in the eyes of the ruling class? Religious reasons perhaps, a shaman of some sort or maybe Attila had a softer side? More likely he may have been considered to old to rule or the murder of their nephews was a personal matter for Attila & Bleda.

Exactly why I needed his name. I put in my book that:

"It is also unknown why Attila and Bleda became rulers of the Huns, when both Mundzuk and Oebarsius would have been next in line. Something, therefore, must have excluded them from leadership, possibly an unknown custom, and Attila and Bleda took command."
I think a lot of leadership disputes in steppe or Central Asian tribes & clans carry on from disputes between the king or clan leaders' wives & I can only imagine how poisonous that would have made some leaders lives & personal relationships so usually the first wife's sons were considered heirs while the minor wives offspring would become minor leaders or possibly religious leaders. I am not sure but maybe a lot of Hun leaders were half brothers instead of full brothers as Priscus says Oebarsius was Attila's paternal uncle.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"