Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coin of Phillip the Arab
I saw this coin of Phillip the Arab, but can't read the inscription (I may enjoy Roman numismatics but can't read a word they say Big Grin). It looks like there's a post that says "COH III" in the middle.

[attachment=9507]coin1.jpg[/attachment]

[edit : link was deleted and the image only uploaded]

Part of the reverse is given:
SAECULARES

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think you will find that it says COS 111 and not COH.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Philus. It was hard to tell if it was an H or an S.
The references to the military on coins tend to relate more to legions and one very good example are those of Marc Antony from Actium.
Brian Stobbs
Yeah, I was wondering because I know there were several coins of Phillip the Arab found at Caesaria which had VI Ferrata on them. I've been trying to find at least an image of one.
Evan.

If you Google www.wildwinds.com you will find all you need on coins or just use this link.
Brian Stobbs
Searched through it several times with cntrl+F and several keywords and found nothing of VI Ferrata. Did it on the Gordian III and Phillip II Pages as well.
HiWink

Vs IMP PHILIPPUS AUG Rs SAECULARES AUGG COS III

He came back to Rome in 247 CE. In 248 CE he was consul for the third time with his son an Co-Ruler M. Iulius Severus Phillippus. Because there are two rulers you read on coin AUGG (for each ruler one G). For the celebrations of the one thousandth birthday of Rome in 21th April 248 CE he kept the ludi saeculares.

[attachment=9511]artid860_combined.jpg[/attachment]
coin very good good conditions [edit: link was deleted and image only uploaded ]

Malko Linge

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks.

I'm still hunting for one of Legio VI Ferrata that was supposedly found in Caesarea and dated to his reign.
Moderator posting links to site selling unprovenanced artifacts. Good job. Probably you should read the forum rules which you link in your signature:

Quote:4. No advertising of unprovenanced archaeological/cultural goods for sale. Members may post links to specific images (.jpg/.gif) on sale sites, but not the listing or home site itself. If you can show that the item is provenanced or held by a museum/established collector, you may discuss the items for sale. When in doubt, ask a moderator! This policy exists to discourage the trade in illegal antiquities, which destroys countless archaeological sites in the hunt for artifacts.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Vcoins sells coins... not unprovenanced artefacts. Most of these coins are in private collections. So what?

By that logic my two Bronzes of Theodosius and Constantine I are unprovenanced even though I acquired them legally and they are authentic.
So coins are not artifacts? Jeez. The rule is about looting. Most of these coins come from looting.

And I very much assume that your coins are by that and any other logic unprovenanced, yes.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/unprovenanced
Or had they been published before you bought them? Where exactly and when and under which circumstances were they found, and if they were excavated properly: which site, which stratum, which ground line? If you do not have these infos, they are unprovenanced.
Christian K.

That varies from country to country.

Usually provenance only comes into play with big-ticket auction coins.
Quote:That varies from country to country.

Usually provenance only comes into play with big-ticket auction coins.

What has that to do with the question whether they are unprovenanced or not? And the meaning of the term "provenance" is AFAIK a general one, not changing as one crosses borders. Read the link under forum rule #4, I suggest, that´s why it´s there.
Christian K.

I meant what counts as looting and legally obtaining is based on that particular country's laws

EDIT: As for my coins... no clue. They're Late Roman Bronzes (AE4), not worth much more than like 20 dollars combined and probably come from Anatolia. I don't think anyone would give a damn about them even if they were unprovenanced. It's not like they're going to be big ticket auction items.