Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wearing greaves on the march
As some of you may know, I march around in kit a lot, training for the charitable walks I do.

This year, I'm to walk 170+ km / 110 miles from Capua to Rome, dressed as a triarius.

I've had a pair of Greek style greaves made by Ferran Garreta. I wear only one, but despite the fact that it's been made for me, it tends to rotate anti-clockwise on my leg, meaning that a) it's uncomfortable to walk and needs twisting back into position, and b) that part of it rubs on my knee cap.

If it's a problem for me to march 8-15 km with this, it would have been a major problem for triarii on campaign. It has made me wonder if soldiers carried their greaves on a leather strap over the back of their shields. They'd be quick and easy to put on if the need arose.

I've been told that if I buy a pair of army puttees and wrap one of those around my leg, it will stop the greave rotating. Does anyone know if this works, or have any other tips? Thanks.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Sheepskin on the top edge of the Greave will keep it from chafing your knee.
Maybe, but not from rotating!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
I too have a custom set of bronze greaves. I have experimented with wearing them with all sorts of material underneath to keep them from rubbing or rotating and am convinced that they can not be worn for long marches.

Of course that is not surprising in the Greek context where each side often had some time, and a slave, to help him get ready for battle.
Joe Balmos
Ha! It's interesting to hear that you think the same thing, Joe. Thanks.

:unsure: Unsure how to proceed. Have you tried wrapping your leg in something like a puttee?

www.benkane.net
You mean long strips of linen wrap?
Joe Balmos
I've seen photos of the Greek Re-enactors marching along the road to the Marathon Trophy column. Try the Hippeis dot org website. Perhaps you can glean some info from the photos there. I saw ankle donuts to keep them up. I saw leather straps buckled around them just above the calf muscle. That might work for you.

Oops. Try http://www.visitmarathon.gr/index.php/en...hon-490-bc-
Or http://www.athensliving.net/apps/videos/...f-marathon
to look at images and videos. ( Better results.)
Cheryl Boeckmann
Those leather strap versions are not too realistic though for Greeks, somebody correct me if I am wrong but please don't send me a pic of a modern reenactor. Some folks wear plastic greaves for comfort and from a distance they look bronze. Why spend thousands on a panoply and wear plastic greaves though?
Joe Balmos
Duct Tape Greaves are where it's at.

Seriously though, the leather Strap Idea I like. Rusty has an old pair in a kit bag that's tied together with Ace Bandages Tongue
The leather strap was not an integral part of the greave. The greaves were custom bronze (brass), but held tight to the leg with the leather strap. (Modified horse tack? - obviously "fix in field to suit".)
Cheryl Boeckmann
I wish I could remember which source had this (Hellenistic? Byzantine?)
but one of them definitely did,,,
the soldier does not wear his greaves when on a march as it is uncomfortable.....
Your idea of putting it in your pack or where ever is historically supported
@Joe: yes, that's what I meant by puttee.

Funnily, I've been thinking that tying it in place around the calf with a leather strap was about the only way it would work - other than hanging it from a strap on my back.
Vanity - I didn't want the nice greave to have a leather strap marring its shiny appearance!
I think I'll try that approach, and see how it goes.

Will be doing a 13 km + / 8 mile march tomorrow, and report back... :unsure:

www.benkane.net
Problem sorted entirely.

I emailed Ferran Garreta, which is probably what I should have done in the first place. A length of woollen cloth wrapped around my ankle, above my boot, secures the greave when it's put on. There was hardly any rotation at all.

I think this might be the same as the 'ankle donut' suggested by Athena above.

27 days to go until I march 205 km in full triarius kit...

www.benkane.net
What secures the woolen cloth Ben?
Joe Balmos
The greave itself, Joe. It just snaps into place around the leg, and where the cloth is, it's really snug.

www.benkane.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Greaves - edging/wearing questions L_CORNELIUS_CETHEGUS 6 1,831 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar