Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome and Science-Fiction: It CAN be done
Ave to All,
Vitruvius here. Just a quick note to share:
A Science-Fiction write named R.M. Meluch has a, so far, 3 volume series about the "Tour of the Merrimack" A series wherein The United States Space Craft "Merrimack" and its crew up against an equally strong colony that is literally the Roman Empire in Space....Add to that, an alien species that reminds one of Cuthulu (sic?) of H.P.Lovecraft fame, except with out brains.
Over all, they are a darned good set of yarns to read when One is stuck in the house...or hospital. Try it, I think You will like it.
Larry (Vitruvius) Mager
Larry A. Mager
As a lover of Science Fiction I will have to see if I can get a copy.

EDIT: The library system has all 5 books. Yes!
Ave, Evan,
This Lady writes a no-holds barred, kick behind and don't bother to take names space opera and I think that You'll find, as did I, that the Romans are NO wimps......they are just as crafty as any real Roman, let alone Trek Romulans were.
This series is so good that I almost envy anyone reading it for the first time!!!!
I almost forgot: I have not gotten the last two yet. Jaqui's heart attack has been keeping me busy for a while. She's getting better slowly, but I've been busy caring for her. Let me know how You like the series.
Cheers, Larry
Larry A. Mager
Best wishes Larry, I noticed a lot of RAT members have been undergoing hardships lately.
Evan actually there is a comic series which retolds story of Atilla in Sci-Fi form.As you like both Sci-Fi and ancient Rome it might be interresting to you.It is well made mini series originaly created for French market but Marvel comics issued version in English.I had greater part of this series at home.

P.S:...it is not hard to download it for free from internet...buy you don't have this from me ;-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salve
David Drake also did a few fun SciFi Roman stories, such as Vettius & Friends (short stories mix SciFi & fantasy) and Ranks of Bronze (SciFi - Romans kidnapped by aliens). Also 'Killer' is great fun, set in the time of Domitian with a leathal alien released in Rome with a Venator tasked by the Emperor to hunt it down and capture it for the Games.
Enjoy!
Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Ave, Y'All,
That's right Celer, I'd forgotten about D. Drake ( + I shouldn't have considering He writes several of my favorite series, like Honor Harrington,etc.) Also let's not forget his Belisarius series which is a great romp as well.
BTW Evan, Sadly none of us are getting any Younger, and thanks for the good wishes for Jaqui. I must admit that if anything fatal ever happened to her, I'd have no further reason to go on. We as a group need to go to colleges and recruit younger members. Tying Sci-Fi and Rome together might be just what we need. Opinions on that anyone???????
Larry (Vitruvius)
Larry A. Mager
Salve all,

Allow me to suggest "Procurator" by Kirk Mitchell.
A three volume series set in an alternate history where the Empire has expanded to New World and is moving towards a clash with the great Serican empire in Asia.

A good read. Mitchell made some interesting choices in developing his future Rome. The cover of the first novel certainly caught my attention as a young reader.

Germanicus Julius Agricola / Dave
I've worn out 4 copies of each book......how I forgot to mention that, I don't know.......Old Timer's Disease, the one labeled CRS.....Can't Remember "Stuff". I had to go look up and see if I still have my plans for the Ultra light shown on the cover of "Cry Republic" as well as mentioned in it.
Has anyone scratch built any models of the sand galleys, or sea galleys mentioned?
Oddly enought, Mitchell implies that this story takes place approximately during Our 1930s-1950s. I won't tell folks how I know this. No spoiler alert from me. LOL

Larry (Vitruvius)

P.T.O. Ya gottta love that sand galley on the cover of Book one!
Larry A. Mager
The second and third novels, and the full picture used on the first novel

Germanicus Julius Agricola / Dave
AVE Dave
Thank You for reproducing the covers
I am planning on eventuall building models of the devices on the covers and particularly plans for a full size ultra light
Gotta scoot as my keyboard is acting out and I cant get certain keys like periods to work
salve to all
Larry (Vitruvius)
Larry A. Mager
I finished "The Myriad." I found it to be great until the ending, which really sucked.
Ave, Evan,
Yep, it does. I'm hoping She might rethink the ending, much as David Gerrold did for "Yesterday's Children, and write a newer, more up beat ending to it.
While I understand that few writers wish to be "typecast" in a certain mold, I have seen what happens when writers step out and change the direction their series are headed. The series ( and I will not mention the writer thereof) about a certain group of Mercenaries and their "Unique" commander comes to mind. The writer changed direction, and the series almost crashed, burned and died until said writer started moving back to what the fans wanted. IMHO, if a writer wants to go in a different direction, then the writer should do like David Weber and Johnny Ringo do quite regularly: Keep writing the one series and start a new, different one. Result: Happy original fans and happy new ones.
Salve,
Larry (Vitruvius)
Larry A. Mager
That's what Niven did. He covered all aspects of his sci-fi universe by writing different storylines. Ringworld just happened to be the most popular.
Yep, I think that's the way to do it!

Salve,
Larrry(Vitruvius
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical fiction in Ancient Rome Tedesco 0 1,928 03-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Tedesco