Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ala Augusta Gallorum Petriana
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum so please accept my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area! Also admin please feel free to move if needs be.

My interest in Roman history is primarily based around the early imperial era with a specific interest in Roman Britain. As part of this I also paint miniatures with as much historic accuracy as I can manage.

I am currently working on a mounted Decurion which I am hoping to paint as part of the Ala Petriana. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this unit such as suggested shield emblems or colourings?

If anyone could help I would be very grateful!

Thanks for reading

Andrew
Quote:I am currently working on a mounted Decurion which I am hoping to paint as part of the Ala Petriana. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this unit such as suggested shield emblems or colourings?
Sadly we know nothing about such details for the ala Petriana. We have one (RIB 1172), possibly two (RIB 2030), figured tombstones of cavalrymen from the unit, both with the inside of the shield toward the viewer.

What you see is what you get ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the confirmation. I will have to get creative!

Andrew
Quote:I will have to get creative!
No harm in that! Just a thought, but since the unit was torquata and then bis torquata, as well as civium Romanorum, it might be that those unit awards were in some way incorporated in whatever design they used.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cohors quarta gallorum Mick Saunders 8 2,281 01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jon Eaton