Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using volunteers in reconstruction projects
I've put this here as it does come under reconstruction so I hope it's in the right place.

I'm tentatively looking at organising a reconstruction of a Roman mosaic floor to put into practice some theories I have about the methods used. It would be at least 6m x 6m so I'd be looking at having 3 teams working at a time on it. This does mean I'd use volunteers to make up a large part of the workforce. I wouldn't be getting paid but I am looking at sponsorship for expenses to make it practical. I'd be supplying the usual work stuff, knee pads etc.

The question is; I assume getting volunteers to work on it should I be looking at supplying meals and some sort of accommodation at the minimum?
Should I be looking at travel expenses too?
Working for 5 - 7 days would be ideal considering the training I have in mind, can you expect people to stay that long?

My expectations would be, work for 6 - 8 hours each day with 1 hour lunch, 30 minutes break mid morning and mid afternoon. Mosaic work is very boring so they would need to work exactly as I say to avoid making mistakes. There would be a number of jobs around which I'd rotate the teams.

Any input especially from those of you who work with volunteers would be appreciated.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
When working with volunteers it is very important to establish why someone would want to work on the project in the first place. Is it the companionship, the idea of being part of something grand / a real achievement, the wish to learn new skills, wishing to participate in a good cause (I do hope the mosaic will remain on public display when finished)? These reasons are different from one person to the next, so you should cater for each of these things. Yes, providing at least travel expenses and at least a good lunch should be a part of the scheme. But you need not cater out for the lunch, as it is a shared moment and people will pitch in to set it and prepare things if you supply the ingredients. Make sure you ask for volunteers to set up the lunch, select a small team and have them relieved from work well in advance to get everything laid out. Also, plan a grand finale (barbeque, unveiling, group photo as a souvenir) and communicate that in advance, as you want people to stick with the project.
Having a person stay for five days is a long time, many will have other obligations, so count on a far larger workforce doing the job in rotation. Where possible, see if you can form small teams of two or three people working together for two days in a row. This encourages people to hang in there, they do not want to let their newfound compangions down.
For someone not paying his employees, you expectations are very high. I think a max of 6 hours with one hour lunch and two coffee breaks would be the most you could squeeze out of people, this is also supposed to be fun :-) !

Good luck with your endevour!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I would initially advertise to people who pay to go on archaeological digs- for example Dorchester on Thames this year is £250. If you add to the day tutorials on the techniques of mosaic making, and a lunchtime lecture on Roman subjects every lunchtime ( eg Art) , I suspect that you could fill this quite easily. I'd charge a £10 registration fee- that way people are less likely to drop out. You could also offer 2/3 and 5 day packages ?

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Paul
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks guys, that's just what I was after. I'm looking to do the project somewhere where it will be left in place. I am looking at approaching a couple of TV companies though I'm not holding my breath as I doubt there would be enough of interest for a whole program but I would definitely have it filmed anyway.

The intention would be to get as much out of it as possible and to show that people can be trained to do this work to an acceptable standard, in a very short time. Part of this would be how people can be trained and I am toying with the idea of using 2 approaches to see if we can glean any information from that. I would like to think that the volunteers would be able to work as 'trained' Roman mosaicists, as opposed to modern mosaicists, (there is a difference between trained and trained and experienced though).

I think a registration fee makes a lot of sense so we can at least cover the insurance side.
Thanks again I can approach the places I have in mind with a lot more information about the volunteer side. Anymore suggestions greatly appreciated too.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
Perhaps you can even turn it into a contest. MasterMosiac! Two teams battling it out to get their section completed in time. Common folks who have never laid a large mosaic in their lives. First, they get an instruction course of the basics, a small testpiece is made under timepressure after which some are rejected, the two best chose a team, then they do battle, racing agains time to complete the Emperor's wish, with Lawrence their Doctore, scourging minds with his sharp tonque, hides with his whip, offering comments as he paces around like a caged cat. The loosers are fed to the lions ..... :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
......and I'm just waiting for, 'Hey, what about you get in some celebrities to take part?' ;-)
Lawrence Payne

Naah, that would be the second edition, after your first has been a blockbuster ....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  just some new projects jvrjenivs 14 3,341 07-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Random Projects Andy 9 2,585 06-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Andy
  Weekend Projects Primvs Pavlvs 3 1,222 10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs