Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum
Being a first timer to Roman reenactment I want to do things right and done well. If anyone has some tips, internet sites, or any helpful info on how to make a roman scutum I would be happy if you would let me in on it. Sincerely, Aug33 <p></p><i></i>
Salve Aug,<br>
<br>
Take a look at Matt Amt's site for a thorough discussion of making a scutum, and everything else for just starting up:<br>
<br>
LegioXX <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Ave Aug,<br>
<br>
I've just finished making a new one for myself so can give you the benefit of my experience (I've made 3 now). First- 1/8" thick Luan plywood is the best material- it might be called a 'door skin' too. I made mine 33"x42", so it required two sheets. 3 layers works nicely- makes a Scutum 3/8" thick so it's solid yet light. The Scutum press pictured on the Legio XX site is probably great if you have to make a bunch of them, but if you're only making one, something simpler will work just as well. I made a form comprised of 2 semicircles of 3/4" plywood cut to a slightly smaller radius than you want for your Scutum (because it will spring back a little when dry and removed from the form), and 2 lengths of 2x2 separating them. Put an even coat of wood glue on both sides of the middle sheet (make sure it's evenly coated) and on the inner face of the two outside sheets. Put them all together and lay it on the form. Working from the middle of the Scutum (the apex of the semicircles), screw it to the form. It's hard to do by yourself, so if you have someone to help it's much easier. When you're finished screwing the top and bottom edges of the Scutum to the form, do the same for the long edges- they get screwed to the 2x2s. Make sure there's no bowing as you want the edges to be straight. Let it dry thoroughly. Then simply remove the screws. As I said, it'll spring out slightly, but if you've overdone the curve of the form, it'll end up just the way you want it. Round the corners and cut the center hole with a jigsaw, and you've got a nice blank. Fill all the holes from the screws with wood filler.<br>
<br>
Next you can apply the stiffeners to the back side. I used 1/4"x 3/4" pine moulding myself. It's easiest if you soak the top and bottom pieces so they will curve nicely when you go to mount them. Glue and some 1/2" finishing nails will do the trick nicely. For the handle and center stiffener, I used 1/8"x 3/4" steel bar- and applied 1/8" moulding to bring it up to the thickness of the rest. A couple of screws with nuts that are just to the left and right of the handle secure it. You can cut holes in the moulding you put on top to hide the nuts, and the bolt heads will be under the Umbo (boss). Then you're ready to cover it with fabric. I used a light canvas fabric- coat the wood with glue and one side of the fabric and apply, pushing out any bubbles that might form. I recommend only doing one side at a time as you'll have to fight with the back side because of the stiffeners, and if the front is still wet, it could get messed-up. The fabric is applied right over the stiffeners, so you'll have to keep pushing it into the corners, etc. while the glue is drying. It gets more and more tacky as it dries, so you can get it into the little crevaces reasonably well- of course it'll still pucker some, but that's okay. When you go to paint the Scutum, you may find that it causes the tiny fibers that stick out of most fabrics, including canvas, make it much like sandpaper when the paint dries. I just sand the surface with a light sandpaper (200 grit) to smooth it down. I applied 3 coats and sanded after each of the first two. The choice you have next is to make a brass rim or another type.<br>
<br>
There's an older thread about the Scutum edge that has a link to an excellent set of directions for making a brass one. It's not easy by any means and requires a lot of work, but it looks GREAT. This is really the last thing you need to make.<br>
<br>
The Umbo is easy to make- I used a piece of 26 gauge sheet steel, a form made of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood each with a 5 1/2" diameter hole cut in them and then screwed together to make a 1 1/2" deep hole. Then all you do is put the steel over the hole and start hammering with the ball of a ball peen hammer. Start in the middle and hammer out in concentric circles. when you reach the edge of the hole, start from the center again. It's a killer on your arm, but it works nicely. I used the edge of my anvil to make the edge of the dished part sharp. The dish will be all bumpy when you finish, and you need to planish it- that is use some kind of rounded steel object (I used an old railroad spike and the ball of another ball peen hammer), place the Umbo on top of it and hammer out the puckers (so you're hammering on the outside this time). I used 4 large carriage bolts to secure the Umbo to the shield, cut down of course and using square nuts and square steel washers. I made the handle a little larger by putting a piece of wood on either side, rounded over on the edges to form a handgrip that I then covered with leather.<br>
<br>
Really all that remains is to paint the 'graphics' on. I just drew them out on paper, sprayed the back with spray adhesive, and placed them on the Scutum. Since the decorations are the same above and below the Umbo, you'll need one right and one left wing, and a right and a left lightning bolt (or whatever else you decide to do), and you're set. Just dab paint along the edges of the stencil to get the overall shape and then you can clean it up and fill it in after you remove the stencil. Too much paint will get under it and screw things up. The stencils are really only for getting the positon and basic shape right- everything else can be done freehand.<br>
<br>
I hope this helps.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
HeyMAtt<br>
<br>
that responce sounds Familair hehe... You should proably make a website dedicated to scutum making... it would soo much more benifcial then some of the other ones(no offense guys)<br>
<br>
Billamus <p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
<br>
From the aformentioned earlier thread:<br>
<br>
florentius.com/ click on scutum edging.<br>
<br>
good luck and post pictures of your finished, or in progress for that matter, scutum.<br>
<br>
Q. Florentivs Agrippa <p></p><i></i>