Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 to 10th Century Roman/Armenian Casket Figures
Quote:Nathan, thanks for posting those images. I wonder if I might impose and ask about the larger context of the first two?

The first is from the tombstone relief of Flavius Mikkalus, a Roman equestrian officer of the late 1st / early 2nd century. I can't find a decent picture of it online, but the figure raising his hand is one of two groups of soldiers - he is possible 'saluting' the approaching Mikkalus, who is shown on horseback.

The second image is from the frieze of Domitius Ahenobarbus, showing a census scene. It's very naturalistic, and the soldier in question might just be mopping his brow (to show the scene is happening in summer?) Here's the relevant section:

[Image: 879331766.jpg]

Quote:The reason I ask is that the Armenian casket carving is of two soldiers saluting a presumed officer.

It might be worth finding a picture of the original casket. The drawing shows three figures and the 'saluting' pair, but it's not clear that they were originally juxtaposed like that! The man with the spear might have nothing to do with the two men raising their hands...

However, the pose with the right hand raised and the left resting on a lowered shield does seem to be echoed by the third and fifth images I posted above, so it surely means something...
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
8 to 10th Century Roman/Armenian Casket Figures - by Nathan Ross - 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbulo\'s Armenian campaign-----1 or 2 years? Anonymous 1 1,002 06-22-2002, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Anonymous