Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements
Hi Evan, we seem to be reaching some common ground as I realize that the original leading tribe/clan/s of the Northern Xiong-nu were probably wiped out with the defeat/capture/execution of Chih-Chih & his son in 35BC. I only wished to show that a lot of the customs & leadership Organization of the Xiong-nu would have rubbed off on other tribes exposed to their rule & probably over time would have become part of this system. OMH refers to Frederick Telland's book Rome and China which states that the Northern Xiong-nu were reduced by successive bad seasons & disease to 3000 men, after capture of Chih-Chih's stronghold, the Chinese executed 1518 persons, carried off 145 & distributed more than 1000 remaining prisoners as slaves to local Kang-chu & Wusun lords who assisted them in their war.
In regard to Amu Darya (Oxus) delta it is my understanding that this strategic & bountiful corridor lodged between 2 deserts was originally occupied by the Dahae or Dahae-Saka (Dahae, Daae or Daai) who probably played a crucial role in the rise of Parthia. The Han referred to them as Ta-i. In 166BC there was a roller coaster of movements when the Yueh-shih were pushed westwards by the Xiong-nu and in turn they defeated the Wusun & pushed the Saka accompanied by the Asioi, as Strabo & Trogus knew them but the Chinese knew them as Kang-chu west & south, out of Ili Valley towards Aral Sea and Pakistan. So maybe the proto-Huns you refer to lived in the delta area before Saka/Asioi arrived or were themselves swept up in this massive movement. Saka probably split as some moved south preceding Yueh-chih (Tochars), but there was a definite domino effect. In those days there was probably more wetlands between Aral & Caspian Seas. Confusedmile:
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements - by Michael Kerr - 03-27-2014, 01:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient trousers from steppe nomad Dave G 24 7,132 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Avar gorget mentioned in the Maurikios Strategikon Targitios 1 2,931 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker