Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements
Hello, all

I always thought the Huns stemmed from the Xiong-nu, as the Alans came from the Saka. Just different federation names and (no doubt) language shifts.

Just for laughs and entertainment, rent a copy of the Chinese version of Mulan. In this film, Zhou Wei is Mulan the woman "general," and the adversaries are the Rou-ran, the Avars. The whole thing is based on an original poem that may have had a base in fact (or maybe not). Apparently in Chinese legendary tradition, exceptional women fought against foes along the Chinese borders. This is seen again in Legendary Amazons, a remake of an old Shaw Brothers film that isn't much better than the original. Another better film-- actually quite good-- is The Princess & the Warriors, more of the same theme, another Chinese woman leading troops against invaders, plus a fight-to-the-death by Donnie Yen. Pardon my digression, but I love Chinese films. They're better than Hollywood drivel. And they're not DARK and all CGI "washed out".... so you have turn on a light to see the movie.

Another one on the same theme-- actually close to The Perfect Movie-- is Painted Skin 2, the Resurrection, which will blow you away, filmed in just two primary colors (blue and gold), heightened reality crossed with fantasy, as the border Chinese are confronted by the Tien Lang barbarians. This movie is a work of art. All of these films have far more imagination than the old Hollywood "Roman" epics, plus you still get a cast of thousands.

While this may seem off-topic, it gives you an idea of how the Chinese of today perceive the very tribes we are discussing on this re-named thread. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements - by Alanus - 02-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient trousers from steppe nomad Dave G 24 7,052 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Avar gorget mentioned in the Maurikios Strategikon Targitios 1 2,910 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker