Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements
Quote:What about the Chionitae and the Kidaritae? Were they Sarmatians or Altaics in your opinion? And what do you think of possible mentions of the Huns in the middle East? The Huns of Central Asia and the Caucasus are often called Massagetae by the Byzantines (although Masguts or Massagetae were Sarmatians). It is known the names of the Hunnic groups (Sabir, Saragur, Akatir, Ultinzur, Tongur, Bitugur, Iligur, Bazgur, Alpilcur.....

Hi, Evan

I'm less knowledgeable of the Uralic, Altaic, and proto-Turkic tribes, and consider them as "late." As a laugh, I placed the Magyars at Aktobe in my 499AD novel (Demon's Door Bolt), which is a long way from Hungary but where they may have been several centuries earlier. Procopious and later Byzantines referred to the White Huns (Ephthalites) and maybe the Avars (Juan-Juan) as "Massagetae," just like they labeled the Goths as "Scythians." The Chinese called the Avars the "Ron-Ron," which I just spelled phonetically not correctly. (film viewing hints-- Zhau Wai stars in a new version of Mulan, not the Disney jobbie. Mulan fights the "Ron-Ron." Also, view Painted Skin II for a really great fantasy story.) Most of these tribes were post-Sarmatian, so I'm just not up on them. We can thank the Avars for stirrups and the Magyars for Czaba Grozer! :wink:

PS: get the BlueRay versions, They're crystal clear, especially Painted Skin II.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements - by Alanus - 02-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient trousers from steppe nomad Dave G 24 7,135 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Avar gorget mentioned in the Maurikios Strategikon Targitios 1 2,931 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker