Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underrated emperor
I was thinking about this after reading in a bit on Domitian. He seems to be a farily good emperor by most accounts (well, not the ancient ones) but suffered from really bad press due to the fact that he was the "last of the line" and not a big fan of the senate (who of course wrote the history).

Gallienus is also a candidate I have learned, ruling the empire in a time of almost unseen crisis.

So who do you see fit to be on the list on underrated emperors who did a fair job but has been stuck with bad press? Let's keep it to the western empire.
This marble was originally used to praise Domitian and then the praise was obliterated and the block reused.

http://www.penn.museum/blog/collection/1...he-day-62/

http://www.penn.museum/collections/object/115536
Joe Balmos
I would agree that Domitian's reputation has suffered mostly because he alienated the senatorial elite that ultimately controlled the history books. Domitian did many of the big things good emperors were supposed to do: he initiated large scale building projects in Rome, he oversaw successful operations along the Northern frontiers, and he patronized the arts, launching a new generation of Latin poets, most notably Martial and Statius. Certainly there was plenty not to like about him, and his portrayal as a cruel and despotic emperor need not be disbelieved. But it is important to remember that his psychotic actions were limited to a narrow group of senators, who judged an emperor largely on how nice he was specifically to them. Overall, Domitian seems to have been a capable imperial administrator, although perhaps not a great guy to have as your boss.
Thank you for the thoughts!

I found this list, I do not know how complete it is. Supposedly it shows the emperors suffering damnatio memoriae. We can conclude, for sure, that the praxis is much more frequent in later days (well, more emperors in less time as well). Domitian do stand out from the list, I would say. It is a matter of perspectives too. Commodus is generally seen as one of the cruelest, but as far as I know, he was loved by the army.

Severus Alexander is another example. I would not call him an able emperor, however, it seems a bit harsh for him to be on the list.

What about the case of Diocletian here? Can someone shed some light?

Caligula
Nero
Domitian
Commodus
Albinus
Geta
Macrinus
Diadumenianus
Helopgabalus/Antoninus
Severus Alexander
Maximin I
Maximus I
Gordian III
Philip I, II
Traianus Decius
Herennius Etruscus
Hostilianus
Aemilianus
Gallienus
Aurelian
Probus
Carus
Carinus
Numerianus
Diocletian
Maximian I, II (Galerius)
Flavius Severus
Maximin Daia
Maxentius
Licinus I
Constantine II
Constans I
Magnentius
Maximus II
Quote:Commodus is generally seen as one of the cruelest, but as far as I know, he was loved by the army.

As was Domitian. Interesting that emperors detested by the senate tend to be loved by the troops... And proof that neither emperor was as militarily inept as is sometimes claimed!

Quote:Severus Alexander is another example. I would not call him an able emperor, however, it seems a bit harsh for him to be on the list.

He and his mother were damnatio'd by Maximinus Thrax, I think. Just another unfortunate side-effect of being a third century emperor... I was actually considering him as one of most underrated. He had a long reign against considerable odds, managed at least a decent draw against the Parthians and could have defeated the Germans (his army was big enough) but chose to negotiate instead. Not necessarily a sign of weakness...

Quote:What about the case of Diocletian here?

This is probably a reference to Constantine destroying the statues of Maximian:

At this time, by command of Constantine, the statues of Maximian Herculius were thrown down, and his portraits removed; and, as the two old emperors were generally delineated in one piece, the portraits of both were removed at the same time. Thus Diocletian lived to see a disgrace which no former emperor had ever seen...

(Lactantius, de mortibus persecutorum, XLII)

So not an official damnatio (and probably exaggerated by Lactantius anyway), but at least we know the sort of statue he's talking about!:

[Image: 2tetr.gif]
Nathan Ross
Galerius, he was vilified by early Christian writers for his involvement in and orchestration of persecutions, but he defeated the Persians in probably the most crushing defeat ever inflicted on them by the Roman army.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Tiberius would have been brilliant if he received the title when he was younger. By the time Augustus finally died, Tiberius didn't want it any more.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus - one of the most villified and damned Emperors by ancient authors and slavishly followed by modern scolars. He certainly does not deserve to be remembered by a childhood nickname and was responsible for public works which Claudius later claimed as his own.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Heliogabalus. Say what you will about him, the guy really knew how to party.
Pecunia non olet
Here is a corn measure of the Emperor Domitian where his name has been removed it was found at Carvoran fort on Hadrian's Wall, and it is known to have been this Emperor from the Imperial acclamations it has on it for this Emperor had more of these than any other.

The reason it was found on a second century monument is that the earlier situation at Carvoran was that it was a Stanegate Fort before the wall was built.
[attachment=9293]carvoran-modius51.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9293]carvoran-modius51.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Where we consider memoriae damnatio here is a corn measure that is in Chesters museum and was found at Carvoran fort on Hadrian's Wall, the name of the emperor has been removed but we know it to be Domitian from the Imperial acclamations upon it for he had more of these than any other emperor.

The reason for it to be on a second century monument is that the fort of Carvoran was indeed a Stanegate fort that pre-dates the wall.
[attachment=9294]carvoran-modius51_2014-03-18.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Where we consider memoriae damnatio here is a corn measure that is in Chesters museum that was found at Carvoran on Hadrian's Wall, the name of the emperor Domitian has been removed and how we know this is by the imperial acclamations given for he had more than any other emperor.

The reason for it being on a second century monument is that Cavoran was a Stanegate fort prior to Hadrian's Wall being built.
[attachment=9296]0013.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Aurelian, Put the empire back together after the Crisis of the Third Century
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Well Aurelian often gets the mention he deserves. I also definitely have to say Gallenius is one.
Thank you for all the replies - and pictures. It is saddening though. Reminds me of the lyrics of a song: "History, just what's agreed - yet it will judge both you and me".

Aurelian is a personal favorite of mine, but I have to side with Mr. Aetius below and say that I do feel like he is remembered as a truly good emperor. The end was untimely of course...

And yes, Heliogabalus knew how to party. And Nero how to write poetry Wink

But Galerius is an interesting choice. Pulling off what he did in that time of turmoil. Another one of those unfortunate souls - though by standards of age his rule would,'t have lasted too long anyways - was Pertinax. He could have been good if he had stayed on the throne longer. Quite an amazing story non the less, his rise and fall.