Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Merovingian- Kingdom of Soissons
Quote:'About English, if you can quote one single word that is Latin and not a Norman import in English Language, also in this case I'll be very happy! We have another hidden Romance Language to discover under the old Language of Shakespeare! Sadly also in this case, I have many doubts ....'

How about Duke (Dux) or Count (Comes)? Rex (King) was used as a title of British Kings for centuries, and our coins still have 'Reg' (King/Queen) stamped on them. One word in English we use that has a different meaning is 'Sinister', I think the corruption is due to the fact that those who followed the 'left-hand path' i.e. sorcery etc were then referred to as bieng 'Sinister', i.e. followers of the left. Dragon is of course Draco. You might find this link illuminating Diocle- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lat...erivatives

I think that the English for King is King and the use of Rex comes from the French: 'Roi' , I think that the French word 'Comte' is the origin for the English Count and I think that the real English word was Earl , as I think that the French 'Duc' is the origin for the English 'Duke', in short: I think that great part of the Feudal Titles came in England with those who introduced the Carolingian Feudalism in Britain, furthermore I think that almost all the words in your link are Norman imports, but I'm pleased if someone in Britain is still proud of the good work of 'Guillaume le Bâtard' (En.: Bastard) 'Duc' (En.: Duke) 'de Normandie' (En.: Normandy) he was a good man, with his flaws like us all, but in the end his work on 'la langue' (En.: language) and 'l'introduction' (En.:introduction) of the 'Féodalisme' (En.: Feudalism) on the big island can be 'considéré' (En.:considered) a 'progrès' (En.:progress) for 'l'histoire' (En.: History) and ' la culture' (En.: Culture) of the country. Smile

Messages In This Thread
More Merovingian- Kingdom of Soissons - by Agraes - 03-03-2014, 10:14 PM
More Merovingian- Kingdom of Soissons - by Diocle - 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM