Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Merovingian- Kingdom of Soissons
'About English, if you can quote one single word that is Latin and not a Norman import in English Language, also in this case I'll be very happy! We have another hidden Romance Language to discover under the old Language of Shakespeare! Sadly also in this case, I have many doubts ....'

How about Duke (Dux) or Count (Comes)? Rex (King) was used as a title of British Kings for centuries, and our coins still have 'Reg' (King/Queen) stamped on them. One word in English we use that has a different meaning is 'Sinister', I think the corruption is due to the fact that those who followed the 'left-hand path' i.e. sorcery etc were then referred to as bieng 'Sinister', i.e. followers of the left. Dragon is of course Draco. You might find this link illuminating Diocle- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lat...erivatives
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:'About English, if you can quote one single word that is Latin and not a Norman import in English Language, also in this case I'll be very happy! We have another hidden Romance Language to discover under the old Language of Shakespeare! Sadly also in this case, I have many doubts ....'

How about Duke (Dux) or Count (Comes)? Rex (King) was used as a title of British Kings for centuries, and our coins still have 'Reg' (King/Queen) stamped on them. One word in English we use that has a different meaning is 'Sinister', I think the corruption is due to the fact that those who followed the 'left-hand path' i.e. sorcery etc were then referred to as bieng 'Sinister', i.e. followers of the left. Dragon is of course Draco. You might find this link illuminating Diocle- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lat...erivatives

I think that the English for King is King and the use of Rex comes from the French: 'Roi' , I think that the French word 'Comte' is the origin for the English Count and I think that the real English word was Earl , as I think that the French 'Duc' is the origin for the English 'Duke', in short: I think that great part of the Feudal Titles came in England with those who introduced the Carolingian Feudalism in Britain, furthermore I think that almost all the words in your link are Norman imports, but I'm pleased if someone in Britain is still proud of the good work of 'Guillaume le Bâtard' (En.: Bastard) 'Duc' (En.: Duke) 'de Normandie' (En.: Normandy) he was a good man, with his flaws like us all, but in the end his work on 'la langue' (En.: language) and 'l'introduction' (En.:introduction) of the 'Féodalisme' (En.: Feudalism) on the big island can be 'considéré' (En.:considered) a 'progrès' (En.:progress) for 'l'histoire' (En.: History) and ' la culture' (En.: Culture) of the country. Smile
I noticed you avoided commenting on 'Reg' stamped on our coins Diocle?
You are of course aware that the two most senior military officers in Britain was the Comes Litoris Saxoni and the Dux Brittionum, so the titles of Duke and Count have a much longer linage than the Norman Conquest!
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I was just curious even though off topic slightly but wouldn't Anglo-Saxon (Germanic) language & later on Danish with a Celtic influence as well have had a greater impact on modern English than Norman? Although I do acknowledge that we have picked up numerous French words. I can't think off the top of my head but English contains many Latin loan words as well. Just curious. Confusedmile:
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Quote:I noticed you avoided commenting on 'Reg' stamped on our coins Diocle?
You are of course aware that the two most senior military officers in Britain was the Comes Litoris Saxoni and the Dux Brittionum, so the titles of Duke and Count have a much longer linage than the Norman Conquest!

Yes I know, but ... sadly Artorius won a lot of battles but ... he lost the war! Sad

So ... 'adieux' (It.: Addio!, En.: Farewell!) Comes Litoris Saxonici atque Dux Bitannorum! :|

Do this: read the Beowulf and/or some old Anglo Saxon text and search for Latin, .... you'll get the state of the art in the big island before Guillaume le Bâtard arrived.

Example, the wonderful 'The Battle of Brunanburuh':

Her Aethelstan cyning, eorla dryhten,
beorna beag-giefa, and his brothor eac,
Eadmund aetheling, ealdor-langetir
geslogon aet saecce sweorda ecgum
ymbe Brunanburh. Bord-weall clufon,
heowon heathu-linde hamora lafum
eaforan Eadweardes, swa him ge-aethele waes
fram cneo-magum thaet hie aet campe oft
with lathra gehwone land ealgodon,
hord and hamas. Hettend crungon,
Scotta leode and scip-flotan,
faege feollon. Feld dennode
secga swate siththan sunne upp
on morgen-tid, maere tungol,
glad ofer grundas, Godes candel beorht,
eces Dryhtnes, oth seo aethele gesceaft
sag to setle. Thaer laeg secg manig
garum agieted, guma Northerna
ofer scield scoten, swelce Scyttisc eac,
werig, wiges saed.
....'

Isn't it lovely? The High German shape is still so strong and beautiful .... anyway, this is English before the French treatment .....

@Pavel: The text of Procopius is false as long as you can prove that this is true. Smile

It's as for the case of Atlantis, Pavel. Don't forget that actually Plato is a source slightly more reliable than the poor byzantine officer Procopius of Caesaraea (he wrote an incredible amount of sex stories about Theodora, and her sexual costumes and practices, you cannot believe that all those terrible sexual perversions of the Empress are the pure truth! Tongue Procopius is a military man and a politician, he takes part in what happens, he lies, as anyone else on this planet, when he is writing and making policy at the same time!)
Quote:I was just curious even though off topic slightly but wouldn't Anglo-Saxon (Germanic) language & later on Danish, have had a greater impact on modern English than Norman influence? I can't think off the top of my head but English contains many Latin loan words as well. Just wondering?
Regards
Michael Kerr

The basic language of English is mostly Germanic: you can probably go your entire life without saying a Greek or Latin derived word. However, if you want to discuss science, politics, religion, mathematics, history, or any scholarly topic the entire language shifts form mostly Germanic to mostly Latin derived words.
Thanks for reply, good points. Being an Aussie I realise that we have often been accused by many Englishmen of butchering the Queen's English. Confusedmile:
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Actually, if I am correct I do think that "Australian English" is closer to "Queen's English." The closest Dialect to the original dialect of the Colonial English is actually the American Southern Accent (one belonging particularly to Virginia I believe...)
Smile Of course I am being diplomatic in not mentioning American English with the differences in spelling. I always figure that the Southern accent is a bit like Australian with the drawl.
However back to the topic I noticed on Amazon that there is a book called "From Roman to Merovingian Gaul: A Reader" by Alexander Callander Murray and on the cover is a cavalryman but I have no idea if he is Roman or Merovingian, maybe someone else could help. :?

[attachment=9234]merovingiancover.jpg[/attachment]
Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
I also recommend Guy Halsall's Warfare and Society in the Barbarian West: 450-(800 I think)

In fact, if you want I might be able to email it to you.
It is Roman arwork from Egypt.
Dated usually to 450-550 AD.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have an image of that as well, it's supposedly depicting the V Macedonica. The helmet is quite interesting: It looks like a banded helmet but with Intercisa Cheekpieces and a Koblenz Ear protector?
I love those little bad boys!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:I love those little bad boys!

We are quite aware. Tongue

IMO, they are the eastern Equivalent of the Cohortis Nova Batavorum (which held out until 476): holding out until the fall of Egypt in 613 and again in 638. Quite literally to the end of Classical Antiquity.

EDIT: Didn't one Legion survive until almost 900 AD? IV Parthica I think?