Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a helmet crest
Salvete Omnes,

Sometime in the near future I plan on buying a deepeeka Gallic g. I know the currently accepted theory for helmet crests is the centurion was the only one who would wear a crest in battle. I am wondering if it would have been possibly for an Optio in the primus pilus century to wear a helmet crest. I know there is not much evidence for optio equipment so please weigh in by what you think is logical. If it makes sense for an optio to wear a crest how hard is it for me to make one? I have read the article on legio xx's website on how to make a helmet crest a lot, and the instructions are simple bit it does not seem easy. If I am able to make it what do you think of brown for hair color? If I cannot make one I will buy a tan deepeeka crest it is just a little bit out of my price range but, it will probably be of better quality than the one I would attempt to make.
Gratias Tibi
AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder
Rusty Myers can make you a Feather Crest, or a horsehair one. It will take some time though.

As for Optio's wearing crests, it is generally agreed that they did wear one.
I have seen the feather crests on SOTW, will it cost extra for a horsehair one? I'm willing to pay $100 because SOTW makes great stuff, bit if it costs more it is not worth it. The idea of having one custom made does seem really awesome though, I will look into it.
I don't know. Rusty is working on mine, but I don't know if he'll charge more for a horsehair.
I will email rusty about it sometime soon
Quote:I know the currently accepted theory for helmet crests is the centurion was the only one who would wear a crest in battle.

When should a legionary wear his helmet crest if not in battle?
Why should a centurion wear a crest different fom the the "ordinary" form, when the legionaries wear no crests at all?
In my opinion the crests were made to be worn in battle, confirmed by art and written sources (the incident in Caesar's Gallic war where the Legionaries had no time to put on their insignia), like in many other helmeted Ancient armies.
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Make sure to post a picture of your helmet crest
Thank you for clarifying, I was thinking something similar.
Just make one yourself! It is easy and more satisfying! Try it! You'll like it!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
I guess it is worth a try because I will only use around $20 if I get it wrong. Thanks
Quote:
A. GAL. PRISCVS post=351393 Wrote:I know the currently accepted theory for helmet crests is the centurion was the only one who would wear a crest in battle.

When should a legionary wear his helmet crest if not in battle?
Why should a centurion wear a crest different fom the the "ordinary" form, when the legionaries wear no crests at all?
In my opinion the crests were made to be worn in battle, confirmed by art and written sources (the incident in Caesar's Gallic war where the Legionaries had no time to put on their insignia), like in many other helmeted Ancient armies.

Yeah, a 100 years before the Gallic G. Caesar's men also wore a different type of helmet with a completely different type of crest. Some Imperial type helmets don't even have a crest holder, not to mention the fact that I cannot think of any Imperial-era reliefs that show legionaries with their helmet crests in any sort of battle situation. Having worn a Gallic type plume on my helmet, I can't imagine them being anything but cumbersome in the heat of battle
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I just think it makes sense for a 160 man first cohort century to have the optio wear a crest. If you are in the heat of battle and something happens to the centurion you will need to find the optio.
Hey,

If you want to make a centurio crest using feathers remember that the most common are slightly bent so choose the same amount for both side of the crest.

BR
Patxi

LEGIO VIIII HISPANA
Asociación Cultural Hispania Romana
www.hispaniaromana.es

ATHENEA PROMAKHOS
Asociación de Recreación Histórica “ATHENEA PRÓMAKHOS”
www.atheneapromakhos.org
this is mine for a republican helmet, only original feather no dye.
[attachment=9261]P2187993.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
and republic plume feather for miles.
[attachment=9262]P2187991.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO