Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ukrainian Police do a Testuto
I believe I have seen reenactors do it better.
[attachment=9061]riot-police-use-ancient-military-tacticsSmall.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Neuraleanus wrote:
I believe I have seen reenactors do it better.
Did the reenactors have to form the testudo with a sign post in the middle of the testudo because the situation demanded it? Were the reenactors under attack from fire bombs and other missiles? Life and death situations as opposed to play acting are entirely different matters. Look at what happened to the Thai police formation when someone threw a hand grenade at it. How would the reenactors perform with a live grenade thrown at them or hundreds of protesters firing all sorts of missiles at them.
well here is another one a little bit from farther away

-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
A testudo formation is no defence against Molotov cocktails, no matter how perfect the testudo formation is formed. The liquid will flow and find its way onto human flesh.
Quote:A testudo formation is no defence against Molotov cocktails, no matter how perfect the testudo formation is formed. The liquid will flow and find its way onto human flesh.
Which makes one wonder how effective Roman testudos were in siege situations (for which they were alledgedly developed - Trajan's Column)? Of course no bottles with gasoline were available then, but plenty of flammable stuff!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And the clear problem is how defensive this formation is.
The danish police have stopped using shields. and is way more mobile as a result.

- - - - -
The rest Got nothing to to with the roman army, but the conflict in Ukraine.

The Ukainian police just shoot the protesters instead... Cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DxkDiAcSF8 (don't watch if you can't stand seeing people get shot.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6IbEIBhb8o
Thomas Aagaard
BTW also very nice helmets as well
with rearguard

-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
That's gonna hurt in the morning.
Moderator's Note:

Videos and comments regarding the political situation have been removed.

On Topi:

Quote:Which makes one wonder how effective Roman testudos were in siege situations (for which they were alledgedly developed - Trajan's Column)? Of course no bottles with gasoline were available then, but plenty of flammable stuff!

Greek Fire (7th Century AD I should mention, but still relevant as it was used in hand grenades)

Sextus Julius Africanus describes Automatic Fire being used for siege purposes (or was it siege machines) doesn't he?
Robert wrote:
Which makes one wonder how effective Roman testudos were in siege situations (for which they were alledgedly developed - Trajan's Column)? Of course no bottles with gasoline were available then, but plenty of flammable stuff!

I seem to remember reading that the defenders could heat sand and pour it down on to the attackers.
Quote:
antiochus post=351267 Wrote:A testudo formation is no defence against Molotov cocktails, no matter how perfect the testudo formation is formed. The liquid will flow and find its way onto human flesh.
Was flammable liquid available? I thought that without rock oil it was quite hard to produce an incendiary which you could light with a touch of a flame. I don't think that vegetable oil or fat or resin instantly burst into flames like in the movies.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=351294 Wrote:Which makes one wonder how effective Roman testudos were in siege situations (for which they were alledgedly developed - Trajan's Column)? Of course no bottles with gasoline were available then, but plenty of flammable stuff!
Was flammable liquid available? I thought that without rock oil it was quite hard to produce an incendiary which you could light with a touch of a flame. I don't think that vegetable oil or fat or resin instantly burst into flames like in the movies.
I did not refer to flammable liquids! But hot liquids, oil or water or anything alike, could of course be thrown from the wall and badly wound anyone in a testudo.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)