Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identifying a Helmet
[Image: 1960082_10152201615447808_839800148_n.jpg]

Can anyone please identify what kind of helmet is this? I think it is imperial roman helmet but is there any historical record of sort to base this idea.

Thanks in advance.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Hi Semith!

It is the ominous "trooper" helmet which is the be avoided by re-enactors (many inaccuracies). It is meant to represent a generic roman "imperial gallic" helmet, methinks.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Ah yes, the infamous Deepeeka Trooper. Yeah they're pretty cheesy.

Frankly if the History Channel used those it would be an improvement Tongue
Quote:Ah yes, the infamous Deepeeka Trooper. Yeah they're pretty cheesy.

Frankly if the History Channel used those it would be an improvement Tongue
+1 AMEN lol
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Quote:Ah yes, the infamous Deepeeka Trooper.

To be fair to Deepeeka, whom did invest lot of time to improve their range, this doesn't have to be one made by them. It can also be one of those countless copies of it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank all so much for replys. Smile Is it possible to Byzantines used a similar or exact helmet? In my humble opinion, Byzantine helmets are quite different with more close looking and without ornaments. Yet, is there any similar helmet used by Byzantines?

Thanks in advance.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Is that picture from the recent (and ongoing) turmoil in Ukraine? If so, we're actually seeing a Roman helmet (though inaccurate in detail) serving its original purpose of protecting someone's head. I'd take that crest off if I were him, though. Great target.
Pecunia non olet
Frankly the trooper helmets aren't close to Roman Helmets. Let alone Byzantine.

For accurate depictions of Byzantine Gear, see this thread:
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/63-greek-re...ssion.html
@John, this picture is from a protest at capital, Ankara of Turkey. The subject of protest is a new built boulevard named 1071 Manzikert, in honor of battle between Seljuk Turks and Byzantine Empire. This guy is represented by nationalistic crowd as Byzantine soldier since he opposed the opening of boulevard with this helmet.

Even with my limited knowledge I can decide it is not a Byzantine gear yet, it needs more to convince those around me than a sole advice thus I am asking about it. Smile
posted by Semih Koyuncu

There are 12 streets in American named Warp Dr. I don't see how a 1071 Manzikert is a bad name, it was an honorable battle. Granted the Turks one, but the Byzantines and Turks came to terms after it (the Byzantines lost Vasprakania and pretty much went back to the Wuphrates as their border).
Nowadays people are angry at government thus they display their anger at every opportunity. The problem is not related to name I think. I have no idea why that guy used this helmet but I think it is not his purpose to represent Byzantines. Smile
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Byzantine armour was greatly influenced by developments in Central Asia - through mediation of the Sarmatians/Alans, Avars, Khazars, Magyars, Pechenegs etc. There was probably very little structural difference between the Byzantine and Seljuq helmets worn at Manzikert. Decoration would be a different matter - a number of extant Byzantine helmets, and Russian helmets probably derivative of Byzantine types, have overtly religious decoration.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help Identifying helmet on a relief depicting Trajan Corvus 0 178 09-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Cavalry helmet - need help identifying find site Peroni 7 2,299 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Peroni