Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stacked cut off wheels for hinges
From a blacksmith forum on FB I follow came this suggestion to stack cut off wheels, the thin angle grinder type, to cut the fingers in hinges. Great thought and can't wait to try it this weekend. Now, the hinges are not Roman, but I would think the technique can be adapted; maybe just for cutting iron rod or such could be inserted in the hinge to keep it from getting crushed.
[attachment=9328]image_2014-03-20.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9329]image_2014-03-20-2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
That looks to be a great idea however you are going to have to make it a three cut system in your belt plate so as to give the centre gap for the pin of your buckle to go into. Then you are going to need two discs together at the centre to get the buckle done to fit your plate and this needs to be a set of four to make the match up of buckle to plate.
Brian Stobbs
I'll try that, though I had initially in mind cutting all those segmentata hinges. I mess those up terribly: very frustrating. Matt Lukes I believe had a tool made to cut the hinges, hence he can turn them out with the cutouts already there. This looks like a worthwhile alternative. Didn't get to it yesterday (was teaching six year old grandson to use the drill press...maybe not wisest idea) but will today.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?