Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Roman tunnel from the mainland to Sicily?
Technically, I don't see why this bridge would be more difficult to build than japanese ones...
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Oh, and about the tunnel :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...urkey.html
Do you recognize the picture?

See here http://www.lamentiraestaahifuera.com/201...-a-turqua/ for more info about this Smile
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
I wonder why the romans should dig a tunnel to Sicily. As we know, ship-transport was the most efficient and economic way to transport goods in ancient times. Depending on the terrain and the distance calculations range from 5 to 50 times cheaper.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Quote:Do you recognize the picture?

:errr: Well, that appears to be the last nail in that particular coffin!

Very odd... I suppose we must assume there was some 'satirical' purpose otherwise lost on us. Or that it was a hoax. Or that it's real but they couldn't find any decent pictures...
Nathan Ross
Quote:Very odd... I suppose we must assume there was some 'satirical' purpose otherwise lost on us.
Perhaps it is a swipe at the idea of a network of Neolithic tunnels described in the articles found by Jori, by coming up with an equally fanciful 'discovery'.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
The big issue of the bridge is its environmental impact on the towns of Messina and Reggio Calabria, if you look at the project even only the motorway slip roads that should be built to meet the quota of the bridge, have a monstrous impact on the two towns ... the projected towers should be 100 meter high, the whole landscape would be devastated forever, the bridge would be another ravage to the Italian landscape and historical environment. :|

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Villa Telaro: Late Roman Villa in Sicily Caballo 23 6,840 09-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Last Post: richard robinson