Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manica handguard
Hello all,

I have a quick question.

I know several manicae were found with plates to protect the hand of the wearer. But did all manicae that were found have such a handguard?

Best regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The Bowe Manica, dating to approximately 400AD in England, indeed had a plate to protect the hand and the thumb of the handle. The Carlisle Manica had a plate to protect the back of the hand.

However, I do not know if all did, I can think of a few examples that didn't (of course they could always be missing plates) but I cannot recall the names.
Several manica have been found with hand/finger coverage? I didn't even know we had recovered more than a few specimens that were complete enough. Hand/finger coverage although existing, wasn't universal
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I would agree that most did not - in the east (I believe there was a find at Dura Europos? correct me if I'm wrong of course) that did not. The Carlisle Manica had a plate that protected the back of the hand up to about the knuckles, while the Bowe manica protected both the thumb and back of the hand.
This may be a helpful article with some pictures of the hand protection. http://www.comitatus.net/Documents/The_Manica_3.pdf
Personally, why wouldn't you have the back of your hand protected- it just requires a few small lames and your sword hand will be the most extended and exposed part.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Manicae did not protect your "hand" per se. They protected your index finger and a SMALL part of the back of your hand. So if you hold your sword pointing up and forward, it would defend against slashes coming downward on your hand.

Do any of you have info on this "Bowe Manica"? Google provided nothing. Literally.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Thanks for the input all.

Quote:This may be a helpful article with some pictures of the hand protection. http://www.comitatus.net/Documents/The_Manica_3.pdf
Personally, why wouldn't you have the back of your hand protected- it just requires a few small lames and your sword hand will be the most extended and exposed part.

Caballo, I have read your usefull article several times in the past :wink:

My question is a purely practical one. The manica I have (a very good reconstruction of the Carisle one) fits quite well. I have put a lining into it and use a strap and buckle system to secure it to my arm at several points. I'm still pondering on how to attach it to my shoulder/armour, using the upper cupric alloy rings.

The handguard fonctions very well when holding a gladius. I do experience some problems however when manupilating/throwing a pilum. Also the handguard sometimes bothers me when I am using the hastile as an optio during drill exercises.

So you see, purely a practical issue. If they existed without the handguard I am tempted to remove the few small lames from mine to have full mobility of my hand. But if they always seem to have had these lames protecting the back of the hand they have to stay of course and I will have to find another solution...

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Manicae did not protect your "hand" per se. They protected your index finger and a SMALL part of the back of your hand. So if you hold your sword pointing up and forward, it would defend against slashes coming downward on your hand.

Do any of you have info on this "Bowe Manica"? Google provided nothing. Literally.

Comitatus has a reconstruction here:

http://comitatus.net/galleryarmour.html

Not much different from any other manica.
Quote:Manicae did not protect your "hand" per se. They protected your index finger and a SMALL part of the back of your hand. So if you hold your sword pointing up and forward, it would defend against slashes coming downward on your hand.
It protected the exposed part of the hand which, since it is rotated to hold the sword and protected by the handguard, is just the root of the thumb (the index finger is well out of the way behind the handguard, unless you have an unusual way of holding it ;-) )

These small terminal trapezoidal plates are also found on the Eining manica, as well as the one from León.

Quote:Do any of you have info on this "Bowe Manica"? Google provided nothing. Literally.
Helps if you have the right name. It was found in Bowes Moor signal tower and I wrote the report on it many years ago. I'll see if I can dig out a copy.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike, are you even capable of providing NOT useful information? I seriously doubt it. Cheers!
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Mike, are you even capable of providing NOT useful information?
On the contrary, I am brimful of useless information (ask anyone who knows me), but just occasionally some more-or-less useful stuff creeps out ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Mark George Little post=351321 Wrote:Mike, are you even capable of providing NOT useful information?
On the contrary, I am brimful of useless information (ask anyone who knows me), but just occasionally some more-or-less useful stuff creeps out ;-)

Mike Bishop

Ha, I'm the exact same way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  leather handguard Marcus Mummius 7 1,824 08-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius