Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D´Amato-from Commodus to Constantine?
Hello, i would like to know if D´Amato wrote his next prepared book about Roman army-I think it should be called From Commodus to Constantine. I can´t say that I completely agree with all of his theories, but his first book was interesting. I´ve seen about one year ago that there is in edition this next book. Does anybody know something about it? Becasuse I can´t find it. Thanks!
Massimiliano Fedel
Classical Archaeology, Roman military Archaeology, Roman provincial Archaeology, Archaeology of Aquileia
I think it is still 'forthcomming', but Graham Sumner might know more on the matter, as well as D'Amato himself, whom both are members on this board.
ALA I BATAVORUM
The artwork was finished nearly three years ago while some of the artwork for volume three, the Republican period was completed over six years ago.

Hopefully both volumes will be finished soon.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
thank you, it will be very interesting volumes!
Massimiliano Fedel
Classical Archaeology, Roman military Archaeology, Roman provincial Archaeology, Archaeology of Aquileia
Quote:The artwork was finished nearly three years ago while some of the artwork for volume three, the Republican period was completed over six years ago.

Hopefully both volumes will be finished soon.

Graham.

Three years ago .... isn't there a danger things will have moved on and some interpretations may now be lagging behind current thinking?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hello Conal

If you are familiar with D'Amato's work I guess it would not be classed as 'current thinking' anyway!

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Confusedhock: Woo! Six and three years is plenty time!

The last news I had about it from the Publisher (28th January 2014 )was They're not scheduled for this year but it might be next
Any new news about Vols II and III? Did Vol. I not sell enough to warrant the subsequent titles?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Hi

I think it sold as well as could be expected. The artwork for Vol 2 was completed years ago as mentioned above,

In the meantime I have also finished the artwork for a book on Late Romans and Byzantines with Timothy Dawson who is also a member of RAT. I think the artwork is some of the best I have ever done and the whole work is now at the publishers.

Graham.

Very, very keen to obtain a copy of your book Graham, any idea of the publishing date and where I can obtain a copy i.e Amazon?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Graham: was that "some of the best" work of yours for the upcoming military and court clothing book by Timothy?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Hi

I think it sold as well as could be expected. The artwork for Vol 2 was completed years ago as mentioned above,

In the meantime I have also finished the artwork for a book on Late Romans and Byzantines with Timothy Dawson who is also a member of RAT. I think the artwork is some of the best I have ever done and the whole work is now at the publishers.

Graham.
:?
Maybe it's an issue with the publisher...

What is the name of the book and does it cover the 15th Century or end at ~1204, like Dawson's other titles?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Graham: was that "some of the best" work of yours for the upcoming military and court clothing book by Timothy?
Indeed!
By the Emperor’s Hand: court regalia and military dress in the Eastern Roman Empire, Frontline Books,

Very, very keen to obtain a copy of your book Graham, any idea of the publishing date and where I can obtain a copy i.e Amazon?

No idea of any exact date as yet. I imagine the earliest would be next year. I am sure it will be available via Amazon or direct from the Publishers.

What is the name of the book and does it cover the 15th Century or end at ~1204, like Dawson's other titles?

Timothy will have to help with the exact dates covered by the book.

Prints of some of the paintings will be available via my website gsillustrator.co.uk as soon as possible.

Graham.

I had forgotten about By the Emperor's Hand: Court regalia and military dress in the eastern Roman Empire, c.500–1453, since it was first mentioned in the thread, Clothing Patterns for Late East Roman/Byzantine, last year. I thought it was already published, since Levantia lists a 2013 date, but now it's September 2014.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Maybe it's an issue with the publisher...

Often it is more a case of logistics.

If ever you work on something like this you have to realise that you will have to do the research, buy many of the images, write and in my case illustrate everything at your own expense. Hopefully you might get some finances at the end of it other than personal achievement but you really need to work on something else to fund it all. Then if that project too pays as little as the first, then you need to work on something else to fund that and so it can go on. With the best will in the world it makes it very difficult to meet a deadline.

Then once the manuscript and illustrations are completed it all then has to fit into a publishing schedule. In addition it does not get sent immediately to the printers as the book has to be worked on by a designer first when they are free to do so.

Hopefully in both cases your patience will be rewarded........... and I will too! :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  R. D\'Amato & A. Salimbeti, Bronze Age Warrior bachmat66 1 1,525 04-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt
  TMP and d\'AMATO Theo 10 2,319 02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Theo
  Next Sumner and d\'Amato book Theo 20 5,582 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Conal