Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to suspend one\'s helmet on the chest
Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Clearly, it's not hard to fashion some kind of carrying straps to hang one's helmet around one's neck on the march, but has anyone got any pics of how they do it? I'm growing tired of carrying my helmet pressed against my chest with one hand when it gets too hot to have on my head. I wanted some ideas before making my own arrangement.

Thanks for any replies!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
A leather carryimg case. The leiden ridge helmet was found in the remnants of a leather bag with draw string type secrion at the top.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Pictures of said bag.
[attachment=9009]F1000005.JPG[/attachment]

And a possible reconstruction of that bag.

[attachment=9010]P2180215.JPG[/attachment]

Measurements of the bag:

-40-41cm width along the top edge
-43.5cm Long in center

-Top band is 2.5cm wide with holes 1.5-3cm apart.

2cm wide brass ring

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks for the pics.

A bag won't really work with a Montefortino with three tail feathers sticking up off it, I don't think, though...or at least it would be really fiddly trying not to break the feathers as you fit the helmet into the bag.

I've seen Italian reenactors wearing their helmets - without a bag - on their chests, but not exactly how they suspend them. Has anyone else got any pics of this? Thanks.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
Here is a method how the Gallic D helmet was worn with its cheek plates held together with a truncated cone of wood, the second picture shows just how this cone functioned by being slid down the straps.

The arm could be put through the loop and the helmet held against the left breast at the front, then if needed to be put on in a hurry the cone is simply slid back up and the cheek plates come together by this action so simple
[attachment=9022]100_0251Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9023]100_0260SmallMedium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Thanks, Brian.This would still result in having to 'carry' the shield using one's arm.

I am looking for a method that would have a strap hung from around the neck, which I have seen reenactors use.

Anyone...?

www.benkane.net
Prototype montefortino bag drawn with amazing paint skills.

[attachment=9030]NewBitmapImage.jpg[/attachment]

Trajan's Column shows soldiers marching with their helmets somehow suspended on their right shoulder - none seem to be holding it with their hand, so a simple strap across the shoulder might work.

A lot of modern illustrations show the helmet carried on the chest - this one from Warry's Warfare in the Classical World, for example. It's not clear from these how the helmet is secured though.

This reenactor has his helmet slung around his neck by the rear handle - surely it would swing about rather uncomfortably while he was marching though? This one has his Montefortino secured more comfortably against his chest. I believe the Montefortino has a strap ring just under the neck guard, so perhaps it's just a matter of suspending the helmet from that?
Nathan Ross
Thanks, Evan and Nathan! Cool idea for a bag, Evan.

The answer, as is so often the case, was right in front of my eyes.

There are two rings under the neck guard of my Montefortino. Each takes a strap that goes under the chin to fasten to the stud on the outside of the opposite cheekpiece. All I have to do is to find a little wooden peg, or a length of thonging, and tie those straps around my neck. I've tried it, and the helmet seems to sit quite well. Next to try it on a march. If it doesn't work, I can just use longer pieces of leather.

Many thanks!
[attachment=9031]IMAG2830.jpg[/attachment]

www.benkane.net
Nathan.

Those guys you show from the TC appear to all have the cheek plates maybe turned inwards, and this is just how the Gallic D was when it was found that helped to keep hold of the wood truncated cone that I have copied.

The situation with this cone is that the two chin straps are always together and never loose, so as I have mentioned earlier this strap arrangement allows it to go over the shoulder to hang at the front or on the shoulder area.
This cone is great where if it is down the cheek plates can hang loose away from the face then when slid up they are pulled in together by the cone.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Those guys you show from the TC appear to all have the cheek plates maybe turned inwards.

Yes, that's what I thought. Is there any other evidence of legionaries carrying their helmets on their chest, or is it a 'reenactorism'?
Nathan Ross
I don't think it just a re-enactorism for they are clearly shown with the soldiers of the column, however I can't think of any others I have seen.
Brian Stobbs
Quote: they are clearly shown with the soldiers of the column.

I meant on the chest with the cheekpieces splayed out, rather than on or over the shoulder with closed cheekpieces, as the column appears to show.
Nathan Ross
I never splay the cheekpieces out, I always fold them up inside the bowl.