Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replica swords
To Robert, and especially Joe

With the current state of affairs, it's impossible to a young American person to get a handle on the roots of "western" civilization, not to mention what a Roman or Greek sword actually felt like... if it still retained a hilt. The "museum people" get nervous even if you wear white cotton gloves, even if you are actually handling 50-year-old wood, not ancient iron. I don't expect to see a change but rather an oncoming and total ignorance of history in the coming generations. This has already happened in India, the major source of inaccurate blades... and sundry other "reenactment" items.

Whatever has been said on this thread is accurate in its criticism. A decade ago, when I first looked into "living history," I was shocked by the imbalance and "dogginess" of Roman sword repros. At that time, I was familiar with Chinese reproductions; and knowing that late Sarmatian swords were exceedingly close to actual Chinese versions, I opted to become a Sarmatian reenactor. It's a thrill. First, because we can trace the actual origin of "western" culture to the ancient steppe and the introduction of the Indo-European languages that presaged Greek and Latin. My Sarmatian-Chinese sword, and my grandson's sword, both have unmatched balance. Mine is clay-tempered. Both are sharp enough to cut a dropped sheet of paper. And most important, they haven't varied in quality or style in the last 2,000 years. I thank the Chinese for passing the swordmaker's skill down to the present year.

Armed with an accurately produced sword and bow, also decent armor, I'm proud to give talks at high schools and libraries about a unique and little-understood ancient people. Kids and adults can see history as something tangible... and incredibly interesting. Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
You are so right, but it is NOT impossible for them to get the feel of a good reproduction, were it not that in the Roman re-enactment scene, as Dave has observed, "looking cool" seem good enough, driving the conveyer belt of vendors knowly peddling sub-standard hardware that in Roman times would have got you crucified, had your tried to slip it to the military. There are plenty of excellent, good and decent blades to be had, with well researched hilts, but yes, they are more expensive, as these are made with loving care by craftmen who know what a good sword should feel like and also have a passion for the ancient culture their pieces represent, not just the money they can make.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert,

Well, we can all thank craftsmen like you. As you say, there are plenty around. I have been supplied by some fine artists through the years, folks like Czaba Grozer in Hungary, the Jkoo swordmakers in Longquan, and Thor Armourers in Poland. When it comes to craftsmen south of the Kush, I've learned my lesson and stay clear. Just a personal observation. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:
Patrick post=350648 Wrote:.

Maybe they make them so thick for liability purposes… so they don't break easily. However, I am sure that those out there who make swords would say that the thickness might not matter if they were made incorrectly… they are probably more prone to break anyway.

I know for a fact that isn't true. A friend of mine once vertically rotated a cheap Indian gladius with the blade suddenly separating from the hilt. Fortunately no one else was around.

My understanding on the dullness of Indian blades is that Indian gov't export regulations require it -- which doesn't explain the other shoddy production issues, but I can see a certain logic of specializing in cheap wall hangers if government policies are already pointing your product in that direction.
Hi everyone,
Firstly i just wanted to thanks for this admin who shared this very common post that i am swords lover and wanted to get every kind of replica swords for home decorate....
Actually i have many swords but I just wanted to get folding handle swords that someone have discuss above over this post so i want to ask from him about handle folding swords. i have bought before from swordskingdom
I am waiting for reply...
Thanks
Hi Alexander,

I would strongly recommend staying away from SwordsKingdom, as they make fanatasy blades not fit for historic purposes, certainly not for the periods I know anything about. I had a good laugh about their "Roman" section and the utter tripe on their website, though.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin