Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Themsitius and the Scola scutariorum sagittariorum
Quote:I have just had a look at the Milvian Bridge bas relief from the Arch of Constantine, and I'm not convinced that the archer is mounted

It's also hard to tell because the weapons are missing, but I'm sure all the light cavalry are spearmen. The archers behind (ie above) them are on foot (and may actually be crossbowmen of some sort!)

Quote:Arrian mentions horse archers as part of a Roman army and he is even earlier, so my argument is still valid.

Certainly there had been mounted archers in the Roman auxiliary units since the first century, many with an 'eastern' identity: Ala I Augusta Ituraeorum sagittaria in Pannonia and Ala I Flavia Commagenorum sagittaria in Moesia under Trajan, for example.

It seems the archers in the oration are something different, though. Either, as suggested, they are a new guard unit formed and led by eastern exiles, or the scutariorum bit implies they are indeed armoured horse archers (or 'shield bearing', whatever this might mean). Or both, of course!
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Themsitius and the Scola scutariorum sagittariorum - by Nathan Ross - 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM