Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sixth century frescoes
Is there anyone who have photos of frescoes from Church of Santa Maria Antiqua in Rome?
I really searched for it hard but no photo of what interrest me mainly seems to be around or finded by me as majority of photographers concentrate on the very same parts leaving aside that one I need.
Those frescoes are of 6-7th century date and it is very hard to find any depiction of soldiers from this era.Although it probably will not tell me much it woul be good to see it.
I found only one good picture but unfortunately not very sharp.But it seems at least one soldier have helmet with apparent ridge on it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Some other nice remains:

and other...

I knew the church as Santa Maria in Via Lata, I've studied it when I was at University ... Tongue some time ago! Interesting the details of the tunics. Thanks!

i'll search ...
It looks like the soldier does have what could be a ridge helmet (and probably one of the last depictions of one... )
Quote:It looks like the soldier does have what could be a ridge helmet (and probably one of the last depictions of one... )

Yeah thats what I think too.But unfortunately pictore is not sharp enough to see it more clearly.
Quote:I knew the church as Santa Maria in Via Lata, I've studied it when I was at University ... Tongue some time ago! Interesting the details of the tunics. Thanks!

i'll search ...

You should take some photos when you was there man :wink: !On the other hand when you was there those frescoes were perhaps not so visible as if I undrestand it correctly they were only recently restaured.
I never was there, I've studied the church at University, I was still graduating in Architecture, and I was younger .... good old times!
Oh...than do a trip to Rome now :wink: !
This is a beautiful tunic

http://www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk/gallery...4CN600.jpg
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Indeed!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Frescoes - Which One\'s Hold Clues? Mithras 10 2,071 01-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr