Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spangenhelmet Reconstruction
Cool, I'm saving up money to have a replica of the Pouan Spatha made by Dave Akers.

What kind of spangenhelmet are you making?
Quote:

A simple one, Lieden helmet, originally found in Egypt with its leather interior liner still intact.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Like this?

[Image: 12leiden10qo.jpg]
Ya sort of. Minus the mail neck piece and the rivets around the cheek pieces (should be stitching). It has a wide range of use, really from the late 3rd to 5th Century.

[attachment=8942]Spangenhelm-roman-24.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
The Leiden is almost the same style as the one found in Sinj (almost), both date to the early 5th century I think. Their origin I think is East Germanic. I'd say their usage could apply to 5th century Roman, or general Germanic/Hunnic.
Quote:both date to the early 5th century I think.

That helmet actually dates to the late 3rd Century, in line with the Der-el-Medineh helmet. These helmets appear to have run parallel with other Roman helmets for some time (to 5th Century), and are even seen on Trajan's column in the 2nd Century. Contrary to popular belief I think a helmet like this fits some type of Roman soldier in the late 3rd to 4th Century right up to the later 5th Century, when it was heavily used by Germanic soldiers.

Moderator: Maybe we can pull this whole Spangenhelm discussion to another separate thread, and keep the main thread on the later Belt pieces. Kinda side tracked now.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts