• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baldric for a late roman spatha?
Like this? (The bottom part)

[Image: 1grande_64.jpg]
Quote:Like this? (The bottom part)

[Image: 1grande_64.jpg]
No, like shown in my sketches.

HUGE EDIT

It seems, that "strap end" is the wrong term. I should have used "tubular belt terminal" (cf. my previous post) from the beginning.
Oh, I see it now, it was only just barely visible in the thing. Okay I know what you're saying, I'll work on it. I've got part of the sketch done, will try and finish by it tomorrow.
The second sketch could represent a sort of adaption of roman fashion with stuff one had "by hand". This matches the whole image of the Kemathen warrior as a guy having items of roman origin and improved "homemade" stuff
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Well, I was working on this and screwed it up irreversibly (I totally did not spill hot chocolate on it).

Had to start again, hopefully I'll have it finished tomorrow.
hey MMFA: tomorrow is three days ago now ;-)

Jürgen Graßler

Oh sorry. I was busy. I'll post it soon, I have to pull up the image I had of the belt and finish the brass fittings, and also finish the scabbard and visible section of tunic.
oh, you are drawing a complete reconstruction?

Jürgen Graßler

Not the whole guy, just sort of the waist area.
It's finished, just got to scan it and upload it. It's in black and white (because colored pencil smears detail).
Here it is:

[attachment=8988]KemathenBelt.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think this is quite what Thomas meant in his second sketch. It would make sense when the knotted ends of the sword belt are clamped under the broad belt (between belt and body). So they would not be visible and the whole system be fixed better. The sword would hang a bit deeper than in your drawing ( like high-medieval scabbards).
The whole system makes more sense than the "official" reconstruction, I think.

Jürgen Graßler

Thanks Guys.

I chose to flip the side to which the second piece of leather was attached, as if the belt was attached to the main piece of leather it wouldn't make sense for there to be a second leather piece acting as a "clamp," based on the force of the weight of the scabbard.
Hi guys! I don`t want to be a party-pooper but I tried my heavy spatha with a waist-belt like this. It is very inconvenient, it restricts the movement quite a lot, no matter how tight or loose I am carrying the belt. Sad
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Hi guys! I don`t want to be a party-pooper but I tried my heavy spatha with a waist-belt like this. It is very inconvenient, it restricts the movement quite a lot, no matter how tight or loose I am carrying the belt. Sad
Would it also be inconvenient when sitting on a horse? Accoring to Rieder, some of the metal parts found in the grave might be parts of riding-equipment. Biborski claims, that the "D-Period" swords with the wide blades and stout tips are suited for fighting from horseback. So maybe the Kemathen Warrior wore the sword belt while riding a horse?

EDIT

Could you also explain why it was inconvenient?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 7,999 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,651 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,451 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius