Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheiroballistra Parts
Hello! I am working on a replica cheiroballistra (or carroballistra), and wondered if anyone knows where I might find someone who makes or sells the iron and bronze parts for the hole-carrier? I am mainly interested in the iron frame (arch) and the bronze modioli (washers). Any help would be greatly appreciated! <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Salve<br>
<br>
You might want to contact Len Morgan. He made all the catapaults for the RMRS, and they all work!<br>
<br>
Len Morgan<br>
Fabrica,<br>
69, The Warren,<br>
Hardingstone,<br>
Northants, U.K.<br>
<br>
Telephone: 01604 763136<br>
<br>
Email: [email protected] <br>
<br>
For his web-site, go to www.romanarmy.net , and click on the 'fabrica' shield on the left of the page.<br>
<br>
Also, if you haven't already got it, buy JRMES vol. 11 as it has two competing descriptions of how to make balistae.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
<br>
Celer. <p></p><i></i>
Aitor Iriarte has had one built by a local craftsman so you might want to contact him.<br>
What country are you in?.<br>
I built a manuballista about 12 years ago and it was interesting to compare notes with Aitor. His is inward swinging arms and mine is outward swinging. I think He may well be right about the arms.<br>
Len Morgans work is very good but the Manuballistas he built were incorrect in many areas due to the man who designed it rather than any fault on Lens part.<br>
<br>
Having built one I would be interested in discussing your reconstruction with you.<br>
<br>
Aulus Cladius Maximus <p></p><i></i>
Bernard Jacobs
Any opinion stated is genally not the opinion of My group or Centurian
OK, This topic is getting more and more interesting by moments!<br>
No matter who is right, we all learn from discussions, provided a bare minimum of 'open-mindness'<br>
For those who are not so deeply involved in the question, you can get a glimpse of my point of view at:<br>
[url=http://198.144.2.125/Siege/Aitor/Aitor%20Iriarte.htm" target="top]Aitor Iriarte's Webpage[/url]<br>
For now, just a few observations:<br>
'Cheiroballistra' is a Greek word, a straightforward translation from the Latin 'Manuballista' , that is, 'hand ballista'.<br>
'Carroballista' (not 'Carroballistra'! ) is Latin and can be quite loosely translated as 'wagon ballista'.<br>
Therefore, 'cheiroballistra' and 'carroballista' are not meaning the same machine, they were machines belonging to the same family of metallic-framed catapults, but 'carroballistae' were bigger machines than 'manuballistae'<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hello All,<br>
Thank you so much for your help! I have been working on this machine off and on for about four years now, but I have reached a "road block" in my efforts, because even though I know and understand pretty much how the engine is put together and operates, I don't have the skill to fabricate the iron and bronze parts myself. I had thought to try it, but I know whatever I make would not be authentic and quite possibly may not work right.<br>
Aitor, thank you for your correction in distinguishing the two terms. Mine is indeed one of the larger machines, meant to be mounted to a stand, or in the case of some sculptural evidence, a cart.<br>
Anyway, I have already constructed the stand, the case and slider, the winch mechanisms, etc., but I need a set of bronze washers, and the iron frame for the hole-carrier.<br>
I have viewed Mr. Morgan's site, but as he is in the UK and I am in the USA, I don't know...I might go broke trying to get parts from there to here...<br>
Anyway, thanks again, for your help! <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Lucius,<br>
All you need is to find a competent smith for the iron parts and a metal lathe turner for cutting the four modioli out of solid bronze cylinders.<br>
An don't forget one vital question: What do you want, to replicate an artefact with all its components shaped like the originals and make it work or to construct all the components just exavtly like Romans would have done?<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<br>
Aulus, are you Jeremy, or Bernard, maybe?<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=aitoririarte>Aitor Iriarte</A> at: 7/30/04 5:12 pm<br></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi Aitor!<br>
I hope this finds you well and happy. Thank you for your imput, I trust your advice on this matter, because I have seen your site showing your machine, and I know that you are pretty much an expert! I have also consulted quite a bit with Darius Architectus in this country, and he has also been quite helpful.<br>
To answer your question, I am trying to build a machine that will work. I actually think that I could probably manufacture the iron frame, but I would really need someone to do the modioli for me. What kind of bronze cylinders did you use to turn your modioli from, and where were you able to find them?<br>
This area of interest is what I love most, I have always been extremely fascinated with Roman artillery, and that is what I want my impression to be...an artilleryman, or in the ancient terminology, Balistarii.<br>
Regards,<br>
Lucius <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Lucius,<br>
Kurt is a very friendly and helpful person, he offered me to construct and host my webpage on his site!<br>
About the cylinders, that is one of the ways raw bronze is commercially sold. You only need to go to a metal seller and ask if they have cylinders of the external diameter you need and then buy enough length as to allow the turner to cut the four modioli from it.<br>
Ballistarius=Artilleryman; Ballistarii=ArtillerymEn<br>
Above all, don't worry, nobody of us knew a word when we started...<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Hi Aitor,<br>
Did it cost you alot of money to have your modioli made? <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Aitor, do you happen to have anything, such as diagrams, that would show EXACTLY how each individual piece of the hole-carrier was assembled? I realize that your machine is a cheiroballistra (hand held), and mine is the carroballistra (please forgive my lack of knowledge on the proper terms), but weren't the hole-carriers basically assembled the same way? Do you have any drawings or photos of how yours is assembled that you might be willing to share with me, so that I can get a better understanding of their manufacture and assemblage? I would appreciate any help you could provide me SO much! If you would like, you could send them to my personal e-mail address, which is [email protected] <br>
Thank you so much for your guidance, you don't know how helpful you have been to me! <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
I forgot to say that I have many of the diagrams from the original ancient technical treatises, but most of them are notoriously un-clear as to how each piece joined exactly...I'm sure you probably understand exactly what I mean, from building your own replica, which, by the way, is superb! <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Watch out as Lucius plays XXI questions<br>
<br>
Tom <p></p><i></i>
Ha! Ha! Watch out, Tom! I'm "eye-balling" you as a possible crew member... <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
nonononononononono<br>
<br>
I've done MY time as Artillery<br>
<br>
Tom <p></p><i></i>
Hello Aulus Cladius Maximus!<br>
Yes, I would very much enjoy discussing these machines with you! Where are you from? I am in the US. <p></p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene