Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New spangenhelm on the market?
Salvete Omnes!

Just found this: http://www.costumbresmedievales.com/tien...cde78db431

It seems to be a quite nice and affrordable basic spangenhelm (you could perhaps take the ringmail off, the rings are oversized etc.). Perhaps suitable for a transition period like 5-6th c. CE? Alas, it seems to be as big as a bucket Confusedad:. What do you think?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
It's been on CelticWebMerchant for a few years. All in all, it's not that bad.

http://www.celticwebmerchant.eu/a-270534...angenhelm/

Baldenheims were much fancier, or at least all of the ones we've found are. It's highly likely simpler versions existed.

Issues:
1. Chainmail neckguard. These were used, yes, but the chainmail is rather large (8mm) and seems to be butted.
2. Lack of a Nasal. The Baldenheim's didn't have a complete "Nasal" but the rim followed the shape of the forehead.

All in all, not bad. I say its acceptable, but frankly Matt Amt made a Baldenheim out of dumpster trash (quite literally, actually) so if you have the skill, its easier to make your own (same applies to banded helmets and ridge helmets).
Thanks Evan, I would take the mail aventail off and replace it perhaps with my ingenius snoopy undercap! Btw, I still want to see a nose guard on a Baldenheim-style helmet (the cut-outs for the eyes does not necessarily indicate a nose guard ). Anyway, I was looking for a Sijn-style steel spangenhelme and not jump straight into Belisarius`army! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Thanks for mentioning that, I was going through google images and stumbled across this place, which has some Half-decent Baldenheims for sale:

http://wikingerschmiede.de/Ritterhelm_Ri...chauk.html
Yes, I have an eastern viking helmet made by them, which is great. I think Robert Vermaat has been in contact with them years ago when Fectio was searching for makers of late roman helmets.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
This paper from Miks covers Spangenhelmets extensively:

https://www.academia.edu/5624791/Christi...09_395-538

I don't see any with Nasals (well, none before the Vikings) so it seems that they were a later addition (in terms of spangenhelmets).
Thanks, Christian Miks is "the man"!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The bowl is obviously too large and very, very round, so it would fit only very few human heads correctly, and the cheekguards don't have a very good shape.

Best to avoid that helmet Wink
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Quote:The bowl is obviously too large and very, very round, so it would fit only very few human heads correctly, and the cheekguards don't have a very good shape.

Best to avoid that helmet Wink

Yes, I inquired about the exact size and they replied that "please tell us your head size and we will pick a right size for you". Big Grin
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The head size is 19"x 23"

Gagan
Quote:The head size is 19"x 23"

Gagan

Thanks Gagan! Too big, 18 x 22 cm would be suitable for me.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Please see this is the shelll size. Normally, people do pad inside, to fit their head sizes. I can provide leather liners inside. Please suggest.
Hi Gagan. Usually when re-enactors want to know the measurements of a helmet bowl they have already taken into consideration the extra room for the padding. I can understand the commercial reasons for making big helmet bowls. Anyway with good padding 18 x 22 cm helmet is perfect fit for me. I have had some helmets which are too wide, they are unpractical and also look silly. Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX