Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible late roman knife sheath?
Salvete Omnes!

I am going to make a late roman side arm. It could be something like a 25 cm blade knife (kind of a simple early seax with a tapering blade, not angular). How about the sheath? Does anyone have any ideas? Attached from one / two leather loops etc.? I think the sheath could be made of brass and leather.Thanks in advance! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Most of the sheaths I'm fammiliar with are leather,sometimes with a brass edge. The sheath also covers the hilt for about 1/3rd of it's length. It also depends on the period,seems the latter the more elaborate is the general trend.
Thanks David! I thought at first of something like a miniature late roman scabbard.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Most of the sheaths I'm fammiliar with are leather,sometimes with a brass edge. The sheath also covers the hilt for about 1/3rd of it's length. It also depends on the period,seems the latter the more elaborate is the general trend.

Interesting - I can't really recall any Roman knife sheath finds of that sort. Do you have any references you could share perhaps, that would be very kind :-)
BUMP!

I am in the phase of thinking about the possible sheath for my late roman knife. Any ideas? :wink:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Virilis.

I know it is not a sheath but I have this in my collection and it looks to have come from a two edged blade, it came from the Hadrian Wall area and therefore I take it to be Roman but I'm not sure what period maybe 3rd -4th century.
It is 40 mm long with a blade that was in the region of 33 mm width and the tang appears to have tapered down from the shoulder of the blade to the round opening at the top. Any ideas ?
[attachment=8982]easyshare373Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8983]easyshare374Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8984]easyshare372Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Virilis.

I know it is not a sheath but I have this in my collection and it looks to have come from a two edged blade, it came from the Hadrian Wall area and therefore I take it to be Roman but I'm not sure what period maybe 3rd -4th century.
It is 40 mm long with a blade that was in the region of 33 mm width and the tang appears to have tapered down from the shoulder of the blade to the round opening at the top. Any ideas ?
[attachment=8985]easyshare373Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8986]easyshare374Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8987]easyshare372Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
I believe this item has been discussed before, has it not. It looks more La Tène then Roman to me. Size suggests a dagger. Even if it was found as an isolated find near Hadrian's wall, that does not date it. Nothing like it in Miks ....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yes, Robert is probably right. :-)
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman knife munazio planco 7 1,765 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Last Post: M. Val. Naso